Use Copy Disk to migrate from RAID-1 to single-disk

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by Mike Gatehouse, Jun 30, 2015.

1. Mike Gatehouse

Mike Gatehouse Registered Member

I have a Windows 7 Pro X64 system which boots from a two-disk hardware RAID-1 array, operating from an Adaptec 2405 hardware-RAID controller.
    I want to migrate my system and all data back to a single, new hard drive.
    I use Paragon Hard Disk Manager Suite 15, which has a handy Copy Disk option which will apparently copy an entire system to my new disk, handle partitioning, MBR, etc.
    Seems to me I should be able to mount the new drive in an external enclosure, migrate the system and data, remove my Adaptec card and RAID disks, mount the new drive internally and cable to the usual hard disk header on the motherboard.
    Anyone tried this? Will it work? The snag will be if the copy operation also transfers RAID-specific info which then prevent the new disk from booting in a non-RAID set-up.

2. Mike Gatehouse

Mike Gatehouse Registered Member

Hmm. Well, I answered my own question, eventually. And the good new is that Paragon Copy Disk (in Hard Disk Manager Suite) worked brilliantly: It copied all files from the two-disk RAID-1 array onto my new 2TB hard drive in an external enclosure, enlarging the partitions proportionately as it went; I then removed the RAID-1 hard drives and the Adaptec controller card; fitted the new hard drive in the system drive bay and connected to the motherboard SATA header ... and it booted perfectly into Windows first time, with all my data and applications intact and no apparent need to mess with BIOS settings or worry about hidden RAID-specific files on the hard drive. Fingers crossed, it couldn't have been easier.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.