Use BlackSpear's settings on a Server configuration?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by enduser999, May 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. enduser999

enduser999 Registered Member

Was looking at using NOD32 on a small Win2k3 Standard server for one of my clients. They have two separate locations both using Windows 2003 Standard Server. One has 2 XP workstations and the other with 3. Due to the extremely small size of the network is it required or just a normal procedure to purchase the 5 client Enterprise edition for each server? They are only using the server for a database and are using their ISPs email server for their email.

Those who are using NOD in a server environment are you using Blackspear's additional setings? If so are the settings used only on the workstations or even on the servers?

2. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

AFAIK only the Enterprise Edition is licenced for use on any server...:)

As for Blackspears settings, these provide for maximum detection and automation which may or may not be suitable for your environment. ESET's default configuration is for a high level of detection and maximum compatability.
    Remember it is definately recommended to have IMON off with the icon grey (not red) on any server platform, however with careful configuration it is possible to use it. Normally a server would not be used for internet browsing and email anyhow so there is limited value in having it enabled for the effort sometimes required to get it running on a server. If you're interested try searching the forums for IMON server or IMON 2k3 or something like that.
    Cheers :)

Last edited: May 15, 2006
  3. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    For your setup....depending on who you get it from...you'd come out ahead by pricewise by getting Enterprise Edition.

You say they use POP3 e-mail...so you don't need the additional Exchange Server module, XMON..that's an addon anyways..not included with EE.

Since your client is small3x rigs at one spot, 2x at another? You don't even have to both with setting up RAS/RAC...and the mirror. You could if you wanted to...but IMO, for a network of only 3x rigs...eh..6 of one, 1/2 dozen of the other. If it's your first RAS/RAC install...and you don't want to fumble on a real world client...I'd say get the EE for licensing...and install them all as stand alone.

As for settings....I'd treat them a bit differently...on a server, especially one housing a database, and on clients...you want to treat this a bit differently. You'll want to focus on exclusions more carefully on both sides. If you do use the RAS/RAC..then the settings guide above is irrelevant anyways.

4. enduser999

Exclusions on the clients would skip the drive that is mapped to the server what else would one exclude on the clients? The database application client portion that is installed on the workstations?

On the server it would exclude shares on the clients as well as any email data files?

Why would one not use the Blackspear's settings as a basis for the settings to be pushed to the workstations?

5. YeOldeStonecat

IMO,

For clients config...I usually uncheck "Network" as media to be checked under AMON...you can see this in the control center...setup for AMON..checkboxes in the middle.

This is assuming that all computers on your network that this WS connects to...are also protected, including the server. Now with basic file and print sharing...leaving all else would be assumed OK. But with some legacy programs that need mapped network drives...you may also want to exclude those...especially based on the program.

Regarding exclusions and stuff..just remember..somewhere..somehow..that folder/stuff should be getting checked. Setting the exclusion on the workstation side...assumes the server itself is checking that folder/stuff. Having an exclusion in AMON on the server...such as on the info store of MS Exchange Server...assumes that you have an Exch Server agent taking care of that..such as XMON. There's no need for redundancy..but you to make sure something sweeps through there...generally speaking.

Network configs will be unique...especially for updates 'n stuff...mirror data, etc. That and some of the above is why I always have my own configs.

6. enduser999

What about the use of the heuristic option. In a server/workstation environment should its use be limited to AMON on all computers (each machine is scanning only the files contained on their own hard drives) or should heuristics always be used even in the scheduled scan jobs?

This client is using DSL which disconnects after non usage of the connection. The NAT router reconnects when someone requests access to the Internet. However the IP address is dynamic. If I wanted to use RAC RAS and to be able to Remote Desktop into the Windows 2003 server can one do this under DSL (dynamic IPs for the router WAN)?

What about using Hamachi http://www.hamachi.cc/ for a VPN?

Last edited: May 17, 2006
  7. YeOldeStonecat

If they have a dynamic IP address....simply signup for a free DynDNS account....download their DynDNS software client..install on the server..set it up. Wonderful service.

Why doesn't the router maintain a 24/7 connection...most of them do now. PPPoE used elsewhere?

I prefer doing hardware VPN. But if you want to do software, you already have a server. I'd not bother with some 3rd party..but..whichever works for you. However...port 3389 forwarded on the router, long as your server is setup securely, will do the job fine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.