use as outgoing only

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by rollers, Aug 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rollers

rollers Registered Member

Hi all.
    I have look n stop but am running through a router with firewall and wonder if it is ok to disable the internet filtering so that I can use LnS as an outgoing alert only(application filtering). My router is doing a fine job stealthing all on the way in. I find that the filtering can interfere with online gaming.

Thanks, looking forward to your replies

Rollers

Last edited: Aug 3, 2006
  2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

yes, if u believe your router is sufficient for inbound protection, just disable Internet Filtering and you're all set.

3. Climenole

Climenole Look 'n' Stop Expert

HI rollers :)

It's up to you but in my humble opinion I prefer to keep control on my connections with a good set of rules instead... Try it and see what's happend...
    A router may be used as a second (and secondary) layer of protection.
    But a rule set firewall is more flexible ... No?

Because your rule set is not correct:

1- Check the remote and local ports used in the rule(s) used for that game
    2- Check if the rules are set for the right protocol(TCP or TCP/UDP or...)
    3- Check the position of the rule(s) in the list...

Look the blocked packets in the log and you'll see where is the problem.

Also: are you sure that the interferences are coming from the Internet Filtering not the router ... ?

I'm running and testing many weird programs on my PC with no interference at all. The trick is to create a Test rule with no restriction for the tested program and watching the trace in the log. You may also used the raw log , import it in a spreadsheet, keep only the lines of the Test rule and sort the data. This allow you to spot the local and remote ports used by the application and which protocoles are used...

Hope this help. Let us know.

:)

4. rollers

Thanks for your replies.

I have come back with fully stealthed ports on shields up. When I have previously used a software firewall as well, they have been silent, nothing on the logs apart from online game battlefield 2. I am also running Nod32 so I my only concerns really are anything outgoing without consent. I have unticked the internet filtering but the L and S firewall jumps to life as soon as anything asks to go out.

I think if any ports had come back as only closed or open I would have been worried, but am happy for L and S to cover outgoing only. If that changes I will let you know,

Thanks for the advice.

Rollers

5. rollers

ok, change of heart and internet filtering enabled. I have run bf2 and gone throuth the logs to make rules for those things being stopped. So far so good and my beloved BF2 is working :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.