Use Acronis recovery disk with Asus eee linux pc?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Hope, Jul 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hope

Hope Registered Member

I have several old Acronis registered products I am not using. Thinking of purchasing an Asus eee.
    Although the desktop software won't install on it, would I be able to use an old Acronis recovery disk to backup and restore the main partition to a usb thumb drive or sd cardo_O

Thanks in advance. :)

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

As long as you can boot with that CD and it can see the Asus drive and the thumb drive or SD card, I don't see why not. Checking that a restore will be successful will be tricky though, unless you have another drive for the Asus. Is that the system that has a solid state drive for a hard drive?

3. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Now, that's an interesting question.

I doubt that the eee will boot off a thumb drive to run TI, but that would be the only way I'd expect it to work since it doesn't have a CD drive. An external USB CD drive probably wouldn't boot the system either.

You might check the eee forums for a way to boot the system from a thumb drive or CD. If you find out how to do it, let us know.

I have a friend with an eee who would be interested.

4. Hope

Hope Registered Member

I was going to use a dvd drive I have with a Rosewill adapter. But I've changed my mind about the Asus EEE. I already have a mini computer that fits in my pocket - the Sharp Zaurus C3200. It does all the Asus does and more. I even have used it with a headless usb GPS device to navigate in the car. It sits on my nightstand at night and when I can't sleep I check my email, surf the internet with Opera, read ebooks, or listen to podcasts. I don't see the point of having something size of the Asus when I can do more with something that fits in my pocket. I'll wait until my Compaq X1000 gives out and reconsider.
    The Zaurus has lots of free software which can be downloaded from the internet:
    http://tinyurl.com/67o9pb
    I would have to spend a long time trying to tweak the EEE to do half of what the Z does.
    But I don't see why Acronis would not work to back up and restore any partitions on the Asus EEE UNLESS like you say it won't boot from the usb cd device.

5. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Well, that also sounds like the DBN, low cost answer (Don't Buy Now). :D Of course, you have the latest Zaurus which is only a couple of years old, so it should be good for a good while longer. It's an interesting machine. I found a Wikipedia write up with lots of info. I think I'd prefer it to an eee also for portability.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.