USB - What's The Difference

Discussion in 'hardware' started by Dark Shadow, Sep 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

I just Purchased a 8 GB PNY USB flash Drive to make a bootable OS X MT Lion and BTW it works great. My question is, what the heck is the difference in them other then GB Size and cosmetics.I seen one Buy Centon 8 GB and it was like three times the price of the PNY.I asked the electronics sales guy whats the difference in them and he said nothing.o_OI need to get more USB for my kids for school work, but I really don't understand the price differences other then names I have heard of like Kinston,PNY,Sandisk etc.Thanks

2. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

Not much more than that. The more expensive could be USB 3.0 vs USB 2.0 for the lessor one.

Without you providing specific examples, I can only guess.

3. Niels

Niels Registered Member

The read/write speeds of the flash memory chip(s) which are inside a USB stick, can have an influence on the price. So you need to compare the read/write speeds of both sticks. How faster the flash memory chip then the price will raise also. That is also an explanation beside USB 2.0 or USB 3.0.

4. RJK3

RJK3 Registered Member

Variables include: capacity, USB version, speed (sequential read/write, random read/write, etc), build quality, security features.

5. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Ok that clear things up'i did not know about the read write speeds.thanks to all.

6. Yeah read/write, build quality, usb 2.0 or 3.0, type of nand flash memory, encryption and so on..

You will find most manufactiorers have a budget/middle & high end usb sticks. budget your looking at $10 for 16GB at usb 2.0 speeds of about 4MB's per second. Middle end your looking at usb 3.0 and $30 for 32GB at about 25MB's per second. High end your looking at 64GB for $80 and up at anywhere from 80 to 230MB's per second read/write.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.