USB to IDE Adaptor:

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by tronic592001, Jun 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tronic592001

tronic592001 Registered Member

I use this cable to make a image of my internal HD to my External HD.
    USB Cable

And it works ok.

my question is if i make a CLONE of internal to external HD will i be able to boot from it if i disconect my internal HD and conect my external as my internal!!!

As ive been googleing about booting from USB and as far as ive lernt Windows xp will not boot from USB.

:'(

2. Jumping

Jumping Registered Member

If you do the clone option you should be able to do that without any problems as you are creating an exact clone and the hard drive doesn't know that its connected through IDE or USB.

Aslong as you make sure that the external hard drive when it goes internal has the same master jumper settings as the disk you cloned from. Then everything should work perfectly.

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

4. navkan

navkan Registered Member

My Dell computer boot controller allows booting from a usb drive, however, when I did a TI8 clone, the boot process stopped early with a blue screen saying Windows had stopped the bootup to avoid damaging my computer.

5. tronic592001

tronic592001 Registered Member

thank you all for the replies,

Yes ive had this!! and as stated above done a google and you can NOT boot from a Windows Xp system through a USB.

But if i can clone then all i need to do when connecting external usb as internal is fix MBR or will this be done.

Im going to try this in a few days when i have time.

My link above to this USB lead realy means that there is no need to pay more money for a external drive just use internal with the lead...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.