USB questions from a newbie

Discussion in 'hardware' started by ohblu, Apr 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ohblu

ohblu Registered Member

I have a few questions.

1) I read that USB 2.0 was released in April 2000. So why would a (supposedly) high-end HP computer that was made in late 2001 only have USB 1.1 ports? It has four USB ports (two in the front and two in the back) and one or two firewire ports. I don't understand why the USB ports aren't 2.0. Not unless something has been disabled somewhere, is that a possibility?

2) I was under the impression that all USB 2.0 devices (like flash drives) were compatible with both USB 1.0 and 1.1. But according to some manufacturers they aren't. What's up with that?

2. philby

philby Registered Member

You could have a look at your Universal Serial Bus Controllers in device management and check they're all enabled and that the drivers are up to date.

Mine look like this:
    Capture.JPG

"Enhanced" is what you're looking for for USB 2.

This article might also help - you can add a USB 2 card...

philby

Last edited: Apr 24, 2009
  3. ohblu

ohblu Registered Member

It doesn't say Enhanced. I just can't figure out why that computer wouldn't have come with 2.0.

It hasn't been an issue until recently. I desperately need an external hard drive and a dvd-rw drive. Can you imagine trying to burn large files to DVD using USB 1.1? :eek: What a pain.

4. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

The USB 2.0 specification was released in April 2000, but was not standardized by the USB-IF (Implementors Forum - of which HP was a founding member) until the end of 2001 - long after your computer left the design table.

The 2.0 devices should be compatible with previous versions - however some uses (I believe RAMBOOST is one) want 2.0.

FWIW, USB3.0 specification was released last November - let's hope it does not take until the end of 2009 to be standardized.

Then get one of these.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.