USB ports wonky

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by bgoodman4, Feb 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

Hi Panagiotis, yes it is Intel based but I have not installed RollBack on this PC. RB is on my laptop.

I just noticed that there is a light on for my card readers and there is no card in any of the slots. Seems to me something is deteriorating (anyone have any idea what it might be?). I think a trip to a service center is definitely called for at this point. I just hate to be without the PC for a week. I can use the laptop but its not nearly as convenient.

I will reboot and see if the light goes out.

----OK, rebooted the PC and the card reader light is not on. Strange things afoot here, I am becoming convinced that a computer gremlin has taken up residence in my PC. Anyone know of any spells that I can use to chase it away-------or maybe I need to call an exorcist. References will be appreciated if you know a good one.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2009
  2. bgoodman4

I am pleased to report that all early indications are that the problem has been fixed. Earlier today i purchased a licence for Drive Checker and the scan revealed 2 USB driver issues (along with a number of others). Ran the update drivers tool and rebooted and all seems back to normal. Thanks to Huupi for recommending Driver Checker in another thread - ------

PS there is a 50% sale on Driver Checker today (may be the same offer made to all trying the program but may actually be a time limited sale). A licence allows you to install the program on up to 3 PCs and 3 years of free updates. Nice, fully automated driver updates as well as a driver backup tool and a few other features.

For those interested http://www.driverchecker.com/

3. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Nice to see you fixed.

4. bgoodman4

Thanks to you its fixed, its funny, the key to the solution came last night when I plugged a drive in one of the USB ports and got a message that faster ports were available. Hows that for a clue? So for the umpteenth time I fired up Driver Detective and for the umpteenth time it did no good. Then I asked for suggestions and Driver Checker was suggested. Praise the gods it did the trick. It just goes to show sometimes persistence pays off. That and a good group of folks to help you over the rough spots.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.