USB or LAN HD recommendations for TI?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by mark7, May 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mark7

mark7 Registered Member

Looking for recommendations regarding a USB, or more preferably, a 10/100 LAN network hard drive that will work with TI for image creation and restore from the TI boot disk?

Perhaps "in theory" any such device might work, but has anyone implemented something that you've had a good experience with?

Or perhaps you could tell me what definately WON'T work from your experience.

TIA

2. dld

dld Registered Member

3. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

I haven't seen much about using network drives (as opposed to backing up to the hard drive on another computer on the network).

If the network drive requires the installation of a driver before it can be accessed, you might not be able to access it from the TI Linux environment for restoring your boot partition.

Also, a network drive running over a 100Mbps network will be slower by a factor of ~4 than a USB 2.0 attached hard drive. If your backup is more than a few GB, that might become important.

4. mark7

mark7 Registered Member

Another case for a USB drive.. when I boot TI it sees my USB stick (and thus I assume it would see a USB drive), but it does NOT see my LAN.

I guess TI Linux environment does not install any network drivers (I've got a 3COM 3C905TX card)? Should TI Linux environment be seeing my LAN?

5. MiniMax

MiniMax Registered Member

Re: 3COM 3C905TX card

The Linux/Rescue environment include drivers for many Ethernet controllers. I can not be sure, but I would be very surprised if a 3Com card is not supported.

6. mark7

mark7 Registered Member

Well, I figured it out. TI Boot CD _does_ see my network. First I have to enter the remote computer name (\\computername), then network shares are visible.

"Computers Near Me" network tree does not automagically expand unless I enter the remote computer name first.

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We regret to inform you that current version of Acronis True Image doesn't support wireless network cards. This feature will be implemented in future.

As for 3COM 3C905TX card, it is supported and should work properly with Acronis Bootable CD created with the latest build of Acronis True Image.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.