USB Microphone - Recording with mhWaveEdit

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Ocky, Sep 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

As an alternative to Audacity, I have tried recording from my Logitech USB microphone with mhWaveEdit (in Universe repo). It is rather easy to use and certainly good enough for basic recording with some effects, combining etc. The completed recording can also be saved in various formats but most will use mp3.
    "mhWaveEdit is a graphical program for editing sound files. It is intended to be user-friendly and robust. It does not require a fast computer."

Here is how I set it up with microphone plugged in.

1) To find out the recording device run these 2 commands:-

^_^$ arecord --list-devices
    **** List of CAPTURE Hardware Devices ****
    card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: STAC92xx Analog [STAC92xx Analog]
    Subdevices: 2/2
    Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
    Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
    card 1: default [AK5370 ], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
    Subdevices: 1/1
    Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
    ^_^$ cat /proc/asound/pcm
    00-01: STAC92xx Digital : STAC92xx Digital : playback 1
    00-00: STAC92xx Analog : STAC92xx Analog : playback 1 : capture 2
    01-00: USB Audio : USB Audio : capture 1
    ^_^-desktop:~]$

(hw:1,0 = recording device)

2) R/click on the 'Volume Control' icon in the (Ubuntu) panel and in the 'Recording' tab enable 'Capture' and 'Front Mic. Mixer'.

3) Still in 'Volume Control' go to File>Preferences>Change Device. The microphone will be listed as something like AK5370 as in the sceenshot. Select AK5370 and also ensure that the volume slider for 'Microphone' is fully turned up and unmuted.

Change device.jpg

4) Open mhWaveEdit. In the menu go to Edit>Preferences>Sound and click on 'Settings'. Enter the 'Recording device' found previously by running the commands shown under 1) ... hw:1,0 in my case. See screenshot.

Settings.jpg

5) Click the red 'Record' button. Under 'Sample Format' click the drop-down box, select 'Other' and enter Mono 16 bit 44100Hz

Record.jpg

6) Click the 'Start Recording' button. Click 'Finish' when done and save.
    (I found that in the save dialogue box 'Auto-detect by Extension' is the default. In that case just give the file a name.mp3 and it should save as mp3. you can also use the drop-down box.)

Effects.jpg

Last edited: Sep 17, 2009
  2. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Jolly nice! Thanks!
    Mrk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.