USB Flash Drives & Magnets

Discussion in 'hardware' started by TheKid7, Mar 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

I just saw a short sleeved shirt that I am considering purchasing. This shirt has a couple of large pockets which have magnets stitched into the shirt to hold the openings of the pockets closed. Sometimes I have a USB Flash Drive on a lanyard around my neck. If this USB Flash Drive brushes past these magnet(s) could the data on the USB Flash Drive get corrupted?

Thanks in Advance.

2. Bob D

Bob D Registered Member

There's nothing magnetic in flash memory, (unlike floppys, tapes) so you should be fine.

3. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

Bob's right. Old media like floppies and magnetic recording tape used magnetic fields to align (physically move) the magnetic particles on the media to represent 1s and 0s.

Flash drives don't use magnetic fields to "set" the gates to be open (high, 1) or closed (low, 0).

That said, moving any conductive materials past a magnet (or magnet past the materials) can induce a current through that material. Too high a current could cause damage to devices in the circuit not expecting such potentials.

However, I sure don't see a magnet used to keep a shirt pocket closed as having anything near the field strengths to hurt anything.

Still, if I had a heart pacemaker implanted in my chest, I would buy a different shirt. ;) :shifty:

4. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Like Bob and Bill said you can carry flash drives around your neck. No worries.:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.