USB flash drive question

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by thanatos_theos, Aug 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thanatos_theos

thanatos_theos Registered Member

A prompt window usually appears after inserting a flash drive to a pc's usb port. But after reformatting the flash drive the prompt window stopped appearing. Now the flash drive opens automatically by itself. I guess that's because of the autorun. Also after the reformat, the system volume information folder containing F318.uda has been deleted. Maybe F318.uda has something to do with this. I thought that folder will be recreated after the reformat. It turned out I was wrong. Are there ways to bring back the prompt box? Thanks!

Regards,
    thanatos

2. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Right click ur USB drive icon > properties and u will find options in Autoplay tab.
    Just a guess!

3. thanatos_theos

Thanks aigle. The autoplay tab in the flash drive properties didn't fix it though.

I was actually in the process of making that flash drive bootable; reformatting it to FAT. But i changed my mind and reformatted it back to FAT32.

Regards,
    thanatos

4. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Let,s wait for some one experienced.

5. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

What is the brand name and model number of the flash drive?
    Have you visited the manufacturer's website and see if the setup file could be downloaded?

What type window was opening? Was this a simple Explorer Window offering a couple choices such as view files, etc; or did this window offer program choices, etc.

6. thanatos_theos

Apacer. I don't know the model number.

No I haven't. I'll try that now.

It's the explorer window that offers program choices. The choices include opening

1. media files using WMP,
    2. the flash drive using its preinstalled program,
    3. folder(s) and etc.

thanatos

7. thanatos_theos

The flash drive was (originally in) FAT. I was actually in the process of making that flash drive bootable; reformatting it to FAT (again). But I changed my mind and reformatted it (back) to FAT32 (I reformatted it to the wrong file system!).

The flash drive is Apacer Handy Steno AH220. I found a formatter and repair utility for that version at the Apacer site. Unfortunately those tools didn't fix the problem. It seems those tools only reformatted the flash drive back to FAT. The flash drive still opens automatically, no prompt box/explorer window and the system volume information folder containing F318.uda has not been restored.

There was no setup file for download. I'll check the site again.

Anyone there who knows how to bring back the prompt box?

thanatos

8. GroverH

Why not send an emal to their tech support for assistance.

http://ap.apacer.com/ap/support/technical_support.asp

Apacer Handy Steno AH220

Your flash drive needs at least two files on its root drive--optionally--maybe more. It is the autorun.inf file which causes the window to open to show the files option.

Your flash file contents might look like this:
    Autorun.inf
    F318.uda (maybe it uses this file)

The inf file can be edited with notepad.
    The contents of the autorun.inf file can be modified.

One of my flash drives which opens as you describe contains
    autrun.inf
    ufdlaunch.exe

The contents of my autorun.inf file looks like this
    You can also create your own autorun.inf file via the program files from Karen Kenworthy's Power Tools.
    http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptautorun.asp

You can also download the Microsoft USB Flash Drive Manager here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...01-bfc4-485e-bcae-c9df0accdaae&displaylang=en

Last edited: Aug 15, 2007
  9. thanatos_theos

My problem has been solved. I copied the autorun.inf and system volume information folder of another flash drive and pasted them in Apacer Handy Steno AH220. Now all is back to normal.

I forgot to mention earlier that the Apacer flash drive has no autorun.inf as well. Thank you very much aigle and GroverH for helping me!

thanatos

10. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Good that ur problem solved.

11. GroverH

Congratulations. Sometimes the easiest solution is one most difficult to see.

One procedure I use is to create an image backup of my flashdrives before I ever modify them. This enables me to restore their condition back to original very easily.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.