USB Flash Drive NAND Types

Discussion in 'hardware' started by TheKid7, Apr 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

I ran across this article which explains the different USB Flash Drive NAND types.

-http://www.centon.com/flash-products/chiptype

It is my understanding that all of the current "budget" USB Flash Drives use the cheaper and slower TLC NAND.

I found that the Muskin Ventura & Ventura Pro have the MLC NAND. Many of the manufacturers don't list the NAND type.

There are some very expensive lower capacity (up to 8 GB) "Industrial" USB Flash Drives which have the SLC NAND.

I looked into this because of my concern about Maximum "Write" cycles.

I guess if you are going to use a USB Flash Drive much, it would be best to go with a mid-priced USB 3.0 Flash Drive such as the Muskin Ventura or Ventura Pro (Faster Read/Writes and "Theoretically" longer Flash Drive Life).

2. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

I no longer see MLC NAND listed on Muskin's website for their Ventura & Ventura Pro USB 3.0 Flash Drives. I also have noticed significant price drops recently on these models. I guess that implies that Mushkin 'may' be using TLC NAND now, but I do not know for sure.

3. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

Most SSD drive makers are using MLC NAND type for their SSD's.

For usb flash drives the cheaper TLC based NAND is used. This is the reason for their slow transfer rates of around 15 MB/s.

Your quoted Mushkin is most likely using MLC as the transfer rates are 120/70 MB/s. I am assuming it is quite expensive too as MLC based NAND is expensive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.