USB External Drive

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by marse.robert, Dec 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marse.robert

marse.robert Registered Member

Hi

Earlier, I was following a similar thread but it did not quite answer my query. I can create an image to my external drive, but when I go for the restore option and reboot TI does not see any partition of the external drive.

Am I doing something wrong, or is this not an option for an external drive?

Regards

marse.robert

2. foghorn

foghorn Registered Member

It should be visible - However I did not think my external USB drive was being picked up by the boot CD because it was previously drive H: (or something) and appeared under windows at the bottom of the list of drives.

Under the boot disk it appears as a removable drive and is shown second down in the list as drive B:! I didn't even notice it and assumed that the boot disk had failed to detect it, but it was there all the time.

3. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi,

I have an external Maxtor OneTouch USB-2 (80 GB) connected to my W98SE PC (connected through a Sitecom USB2/Firewire-card).
    I use that Maxtor HDD for full image-backups by TrueImage.
    I don't use the SecureZone of TI; I only make full backup-images.
    Usually I don't have it connected to my PC; I only connect it when I make a backup or restore a backup.
    When it is connected, it is called drive K.
    My drives are:
    A : floppy
    C : my first internal harddisk
    D, E, F, G : partitions of my second internal harddisk
    H, I : CD-ROM player and CD-ROM writer
    J : internal ZIP-drive
    K : external Maxtor USB-2 drive (when it is connected)

Now I have made life a little bit easier:
    I have given that external Maxtor USB-2 drive a label; I have called it M-1-80.
    By doing that I can easily recognize it when I am in TrueImage.
    I plan doing the same thing for my internal partitions (C, D, E, F, G); I should have done that long ago :oops:

When I use TrueImage, I boot from its bootable floppies.
    I have no problem with making or restoring a backup-image to/from that external USB drive.

I use TrueImage-8-786
    (Note: my last backup-image was made with TI-8-774; I haven't yet made a backup with TI-8-786).

Here comes a screenshot what TI is showing me.
    I had to make the screenshot from within Windows because I don't have a digital camera so I could not make a screenshot from what the bootable floppies are showing.

I hope this helps a little bit.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2004
  4. Ed Y

Ed Y Registered Member

Good idea. Thanks for reminding me. I had forgot about doing that. I also had the problem about recognizing the external HD when using the TI boot disk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.