usb drive recommendations?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by digger65, May 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. digger65

digger65 Registered Member

Hi, new to the forum ut just wanted to ask a quick Q regarding data storage and USB
    I am looking into something like Freecom Toughdrive for backing up onto, does anyone have experience of these or perhaps could recommend a cheapish solution as i could easily back up onto 4-6 Gig drive
    Perhaps a small pen flash drive?
    regards
    J.J.

2. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

Don't know about the Toughdrive. I always buy my enclosure separate and the drive separate. That's the cheapest way to go. The flash drives will be expensive unless you want to save only your data. IN which case, for only data, you can also burn that to a CD - even cheaper than a flash drive.

3. digger65

digger65 Registered Member

thanks..
    i am new to this but if i want to back up around 30 G of data i presume it will be over a few discs and that I should go for maximum compession
    How does this relate to disk clone?
    will I be able to clone over several disks without issue?
    It seems from the posts on this board that cloning and backing up to Cd is not without it's difficulties and i want to verify that my data is safe without having to load the back up to find out and in the process erase my hd?
    thanks again..
    JJ

4. Tabvla

Tabvla Registered Member

5. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

I am in the market to buy an enclosure and looking for a quality product.

I looked at the Enermax 305C link. It looks very nice but it does not have any cooling fans. Since heat is a major cause of hard drive failure, isn't the one with fans bettero_O?

Any other enclosure suggestions for a 3.5" drive that you might recommend.

6. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

7. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

I have seen a number of new metal enclosure models where the drive is cooled by natural airflow through a mesh on the sides and holes on the bottom. I hope that will do, since I bought one recently. :D I reasoned that it wouldn't be running for longer spells, anyway. Formatting the 250GB drive took over one hour and the top metal plate was warm but not alarmingly so. But the mesh requires careful handling, a drawback if you plan to carry it around much, which I don't.

Mine is an LC Power EH-35BS, USB to IDE/SATA (combo). No problem with TI seeing the disk from rescue environment, either with IDE or SATA-II drive installed. The chipset is JMicron JM20337.

8. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

Clone over several disks? No. Cloning is always from hard drive to hard drive and the process makes a duplicate of the original. In other words, if you clone your C drive, which is bootable, the cloned drive will also be bootable.

If your hard drive has 30 gigs of used space, with normal compression the backup Image file will be about 18 gigs. This backup Image is what you will save on the external hard drive.

9. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

Thanks for the recommendations about external drive enclosures.
    GroverH

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.