USB Device Disconnect Errors

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by rwinegar, Jul 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rwinegar

rwinegar Registered Member

Has build 8101 fixed this issue?

2. rwinegar

Anyone?

Acronis tells me it's been fixed. But I no longer trust anything they say. Has anyone tried it?

3. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

See post 33 here.

4. starsfan09

starsfan09 Registered Member

People wait for this update for many, many months, and there's been a hundred posts about this USB problem, and you guys still can't solve with this v8081 update. Way to Go!! I don't blame people at all for leaving your product. :(

5. rwinegar

I'm one who left. I now use Shadow Protect to restore my computer. I'll never return to TI. After TI wrecked one of my computers with the USB disconnect error and failed to detect any hard drives on my other computer, TI refunded my purchase price. They know their product doesn't work. Yet they continue to sell it. Isn't there something illegal about that?

6. shieber

shieber Registered Member

You received the remedy available under law -- your purchase was refunded. Anything more tortious than that and better mortgage the house to pay the attorneys.

7. rwinegar

You like big words. But you don't understand them.

Tort law is the name given to a body of law that creates, and provides remedies for civil wrongs that do not arise out of contractual duties. There is a contractual obligation here. All the elements of a contract are in place - competent parties, valuable consideration, meeting of the minds, etc, etc. The company is violating that contract every time it accepts payment for a product that it knows does not work.

Someone with the right resources should sue the hell out of them.

8. shieber

My point is that under contractual law, there wasn't much to go on-- there are adequate disclaimers and besides, they offer a free try before you buy. One could try going the tort route or for that mater claim that your rights have been violated -- hell, a person can sue for just about anything these days and on just about any grounds - hoping for a settlement -- but in any of those cases the attorneys are the only ones likely to profit.

Hey, do any of those words seem big to you? ;-) Just kidding. But it's best not to make personal attacks on the forums. Disagree all you like, but avoid digs, please.

9. starsfan09

ATI 2009 #9615 build solves the USB disconnect problems. It did when I tested it just now on this machine. But has anyone else confirmed this as well? ;)
    (Sorry, haven't been around much to know).

10. shieber

ATI12 resolves the USB problem by properly terminating the generic volume name it creates when it does a restore. It has to enter the generic volume name so that windows will think it's a valid install. unfortunately, Acronis never saw fit to put the fix in version 11.

Also, unfortunately, although ATI12/2009 has fixed the ATI problem with usb drive disconnect errors, it has a new bug whereby it muycks up MS Office when it restores a backup created with ATI12/2009. With ATI, it's just a choice of which gun you point at your foot. Mabye that will be fixed in version ATI13/2010.

11. starsfan09

Which foot huh? LMAO!! :argh: Depends on if you already limp or not. Which version of MS Office are you referring to? Also, could you elaborate these results you speak of.

Since they changed the name to 2009, one would assume they'll keep it around for awhile, and do like most software companies will do - actually fix the problems!! With a prayer in a rain storm, surely they'll solve the bug with MS Office BEFORE creating 2010. But however, we are talking about Acronis here. :ouch:

I only use the Boot CD anyways, and have never had problems with the ATI 10 #4942 Disc at all. Is there a Boot CD that even comes close to touching this one? :doubt:

12. shieber

ATI 10 is the last solid version. I still run it on all my machines. ATI11 was an embarrassment to programmers everywhere, even beginners. With ATI 11 I stopped recommending ATI to clients.

ATI12 fixes a lot of things that should have been fixed for free in ATI11 but weren't, and introduces some new probs, Office probls after restore, Task editing freeze ups, and whacks automated file management in the process -- search the forums and cry. ATI12 (aka ATI2009), shows that the dreaded version 11 wasn't an aberration in quality but the new norm at Acronis. I now recommend/warn against Acronis products to my clients.

13. starsfan09

Is this the Microsoft Office error message your'e referring to? I used ATI 10 #4942 Boot CD to restore an image. Then used ATI 2009 #9615 Bood CD to make a FULL image, and then restored it. After it was complete, I get this error message when opening up Word 2003 Professional edition.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 14, 2008
  14. starsfan09

Bump. Hello. Need someone to look at the error message (above) from Microsoft Office. Can anyone else confirm this as well when restoring a Full image made with ATI 2009 (#9615)??

15. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

Posts #33-42 in this thread discuss a related issue with TI 2009 and Office 2003/2007. Does the fix that was discovered there also fix your issue?

16. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello starsfan09,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

The error message is different from the reported ones, but most likely it is also caused by the same issue as discussed in the thread k0lo pointed to. The solution for that is to disable exclusion of "*.bak" files during creation of the image (at "Source files exclusion" screen of Backup Wizard). Could you please clarify if that helps in your case as well?

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.