usb adsl modem

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Beavenburt, Jul 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beavenburt

Beavenburt Registered Member

I'm considering installing a distro for a family friend. The trouble is he is connected to a usb adsl modem. Does anyone know of a usb modem friendly distro? I know there's UbuDSL for ubuntu, but i'm not sure how well it works. Any suggestions. Has to be reliable, I really don't want to be a support centre.

2. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

USB modems are common here in India, you need to download latest usb modset to make them work, otherwise they work fine in Ubuntu, you just add the details in network panel>mobile broadband. The mod set changes the modem from looking like an ordinary flash drive. SUSE includes the latest one pre-installed on their 11.3 version.

3. Beavenburt

Thanks for your answer linuxforall. Sorry I probably didn't make my post clear enough. I'm talking about a hard wired usb modem, not a mobile usb modem. It's connected to the phone line and a hard wired usb cable to the pc. I think it's a Thomson Speedtouch dsl modem that comes with orange network in the uk.

To be honest it doesn't matter now. I'm not going to install ubuntu for him. I figured i'd get too many questions so i'll just reinstall xp. Shame, because he's a prime canditate for linux but I just don't need the hassle.

4. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

Ha ha ha I can well relate to what you mean as I go through that frequently but when they become Ubuntu or Linux addicts, I feel the satisfaction of all the hassles then. That modem should work out of the box with network manager btw, why not run LIVE and try.

5. Beavenburt

I already have linuxforall (ubuntu, fedora and sidux) but no such luck. Being relatively new to fatherhood i've got better things to do with my time nowadays than take support calls from people I hardly know. Once i've replaced his knackered hdd, i'll just chuck xp on there and be done with it I think.

Wouldn't have such problems if there was an ethernet socket ffs?!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.