USB 2.0 no longer working ?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by simon_warner, Apr 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. simon_warner

simon_warner Guest

Hi Menorcaman!,

I have also been reading in some news group that an old scratchy CD or DVD can make your computer switch to PIO modus. However I don't know wether this also affects the settings for the primary IDE channel where my hard disk is on. Where can you actually see in XP which device is on which IDE channel?
    And I actually understand that when you have XP SP2 this problem should no longer occur!

I have been using a trial version of Diskeeper defragmenter for a week and then uninstalled it and used the build-in defragmenter of Windows XP afterwards. Could this have caused it?

And then I read and write to my external hard disk (which is rather new) and to a compact flash card (which is rather old). Could an old compact flash card cause this switching to PIO modus?

Well anyway, no problems right now ... for the time being.

Regards,

Simon

2. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi Simon,

You are correct. Windows XP SP2 does prevent the IDE controllers switching their transfer mode when encountering timeout or CRC errors.

I doubt very much that you'll be able to retrospectively identify the root cause of the original problem. So, I guess it's best to just keep your fingers crossed and hope it was a temporary occurrance.

Regards

3. Tatou

Tatou Registered Member

Sorry to disagree with Memorcaman but often my CD RW drive defaults to PIO from DMA. I have XP SP2 It is on the slave of the primary IDE controller
    Go to my computer desktop icon, right click, select properties, hardware device manager,expand IDE ATA/ATPI controllers, right click the channel with the drives you wish to examine, select properties, select advanced settings and look at current transfer mode. Should NOT be PIO but for DVD/CD drives Ultra DMA 2 for both devices. IDE drives should be ULtra DMA Mode 5

Have a look at http://www.michna.com/kb/WxDMA.htm

4. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi Tatou,

Many thanks for correcting my misconception and for the link to the Windows Problem Solver page.

I based my comments on what I read in Microsoft's Knowledge Base Article ID 817472 dated 5 November 2004.

However, had I read the "More Information" section more thoroughly :)-[) I would have realised that the Microsoft "fix" didn't prevent DMA mode throttling; it merely altered the way the requirement for throttling was detected. Seems the read request time-out for Win XP stays at 10 secs but instead of 6 cumulative CRC errors, the Microsoft workaround or XP SP2 changes it to 6 consecutive CRC errors. Better but not a total cure!!

Thanks again Tatou for putting me straight.

Regards

5. Tatou

Tatou Registered Member

No problem Menorcaman

Thanks for all your help in the forum.

I have found that link to the main Windows problem solver page (top of link page) to be very helpful.

6. simon_warner

simon_warner Guest

Ok thanks for the additional information. I have DMA Ultra Mode 5 now (although it was PIO and this was the cause of my slow USB transfer). However for secondary IDE channel it is still DMA Ultra mode 2.

7. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

H Tatou,
    Thank you for this information! A friend just two days ago asked why his 8X DVD drive never ran faster than 1.4X. I sent him your comment and the link. I saved the link myself for future reference.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.