Usage question SCSI > SATA

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by metafizx, Feb 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. metafizx

metafizx Registered Member

Hello,

I need to convert from an old Windows 2000 Server with SCSI drives, to a new server with SATA drives.

Can Acronis handle imaging from SCSI and restoring to SATA ?

thanks for your advice in advance.

2. metafizx

ok...if I change my question to "convert from SCSI to PATA drives" does anyone know if that would work with TI (server) ?

What I need to do is image the SCSI drive and then restore to a PATA (EIDE) drive.

I have always used TI with the same type of drive, PATA > PATA. I have never tried it with SATA or SCSI. I would assume SCSI > SCSI works fine.

If anyone knows, I would really appreciate that info !! :D

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello metafizx,

Thank you for choosing Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

The answer depends on the controller you use. If you transfer your system to PATA there should be no problems because Windows is able to work with standard IDE controllers.

In case of SATA it cannot be guaranteed that you will be able to boot your system from the new drive. The problem is the lack of SATA drivers that are usually inserted during Windows installation. After the system is transferred and booted up it will try to find necessary drivers for the hard disk controller but won't be able to because Acronis True Image cannot insert these drivers during the restoration. This is not the problem of Acronis software or Windows. You just cannot boot up the system configured on some hardware on another hardware.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

4. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello metafizx,

You could probably get away with it by booting from your Windows installation CD and carrying out a Windows "repair" reinstall after restoring the old system to the SATA drive. During the repair reinstall you will be asked whether you wish to load any necessary (in your case the SATA disk) device drivers. After that you will also need to download and install all applicable Windows patches/updates plus any additional device drivers required by the new hardware.

Regards

Last edited: Feb 25, 2005
  5. metafizx

thanks for the replies, they are helpful.

6. metafizx

update on this thread...

I was able to get a TIS7.0 image onto a SATA drive by a round about procedure. :D

* attempted to restore direct to SATA using recovery TIS CD, but unable to recognize the SATA drive (no surprise)

procedure that worked:
    1. boot target pc with O/S by EIDE or SCSI
    2. restore image to SATA drive (secondary drive)
    3. remove EIDE or SCSI drive, setup to boot from SATA
    * I could not get W2K to boot directly after SATA had be loaded with image

4. put in OS CD to perform Repair (W2K Server)
    5. select Repair install option
    6. reboot - complete Repair install

voila ! seems like all works...of course you have to reinstall MS updates. :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.