USA: Cybersecurity Act by Executive Order?

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by LockBox, Aug 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

It now appears there is a real possibility that the Cybersecurity Act, which we all thought was defeated last week, may be signed into law by Executive Order.
    http://thehill.com/blogs/hillicon-v...rity-bill-obama-weighs-executive-order-option

I have learned that there is about a 60/40 possibility that the executive branch (President Obama) will sign an executive order that will enact the Cybersecurity Act into law bypassing the U.S. Congress after its final defeat there last week.

Those who participate in this thread: PLEASE keep the discussion at the level of possibilities and implications of this on public policy and not take it political. I know it's a fine line, but this is a very important issue and we don't want the thread locked due to political flaming.

On Edit: Just in case there are some reading this and thinking we NEED action on Cybersecurity - I agree! There are proposals out there that would be a serious hardening of cybersecurity . This particular bill though is a massive Internet spying bill that would allow any and all information to be turned over to government agencies - at will. Two senators from different parties, and completely different views on most everything. joined together to defeat the most egregious privacy threats, which now could be signed into law by Executive Order. Contacting the Executive Branch (The White House, Washington, DC) is critical. Let your voice be heard (whatever your position).

Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
  2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

Absolutely make yourself heard, democracy does not run on empty. However, this site is not the right platform.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.