URL filter software.

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by The Red Moon, Jan 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Hello.
    Im currently using WOT and bitdefender trafficlight as my web filtering extensions.Also i have adblock plus.
    Just wondered if im good to go with these or can anyone recommend any other good web filtering software.
    I dont want to know about k9 as the reviews i have seen on this were atrocious.
    Any recommendations please.?
    Thank You.:)

Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
  2. southcat

southcat Registered Member

Adblock plus

3. The Red Moon

thanks.
    Sorry i should have said im using adblock plus also.

4. Wild Hunter

Wild Hunter Former Poster

I think you're good to go.

5. Bodhitree

Bodhitree Registered Member

I'd ditch all of the extensions and go with Admuncher.

Are you trying to filter, or inspect URLs? What are you trying to block? K9 is actually good, don't listen to the reviews they have improved it a lot over the years.

Filtering specific ones, you want K9 or Parental Controls such as the good ones in ESET or Bullguard. Which can be set to block specific ones, or specific categories.. If you want to guard against malicious ones, then you want something like PrevX, Trafficlight, or the Commtouch ones in Bullguard. Maybe WSA with everything but the HTTP inspection disabled.

6. The Red Moon

Im looking for something to just block malicious domains mainly.I actually used the 30-day trial of bullguard and the web blocking was awesome,pity they cannot supply this as a standalone product as it would be perfect.

Ive looked at the panda url filter but it doesnt come on its own and i have to install a fully fledged av to get it which i dont really want.
    Maybe i will heed some earlier advice and just stick with what i have.
    Many thanks .:thumb:

7. Bodhitree

I agree, Bullguard really needs to release their powerful malware domain blocker/URL filter as a stand alone, then charge say - $19.99 a year for it or something. It really is one of the most powerful aspects of the product.

A lot of internet security appliances have these built in, too bad the subs are expensive to keep updated. Consumers really get the short end of the stick in these areas. One of the reasons I use BG is because I get enterprise level URL filtering. It isn't a good thing Webroot is ditching PrevX, I think they need to branch out from WSA and provide a stand alone rather then an all-in-one solution.

I feel your pain.

8. mrpink

mrpink Registered Member

-http://www.sendspace.com/file/l0tfzt-

These are the files of Panda URL Filtering. Run the executable

9. NSG001

NSG001 Registered Member

Beethoven1770,

FYI the Panda URL Filter never used to worked with Comodo Dragon which i think you're using.
    Maybe it's changed :doubt:

10. Bodhitree

Question, how does this update itself? It is actually very tiny, and can be tested here: http://www.cloudantivirus.com/testurlfilter But my concern would be - updates.

I was thinking about this today more, I ran into some tests that showed it was impossible to infect a system from the web when MBAM(Web Filter Only) was on, combined with PandaURLFilter and NortonDNS. I am a huge advocate of stopping threats before they arrive, and have found immense success filtering URL's on machines I work on as opposed to stronger security at the OS level.

What about;

Bullguard2013(amazing Commtouch URL Filtering)
    MBAM (ONLY Web Filter Activated)

That should be pretty potent, if you added PandaURLFilter onto that it should be astoundingly difficult to infect?

11. mrpink

mrpink Registered Member

%LOCALAPPDATA%\panda4_0dn\data

I don't use Windows 7, i think that's the path. There, it stores the malicious urls in several .list files

12. The Red Moon

Yes i am using comodo dragon and i tried the visicom domain advisor which ive been told is the same as panda and it never blocked a single thing.oddly enough it was dragon doing all the blocking so perhaps your right in that it does not work with dragon.:doubt:

13. mrpink

mrpink Registered Member

Well... the usual, rename dragon.exe to chrome.exe and it works

http://i50.tinypic.com/dzz0gl.png

14. NSG001

NSG001 Registered Member

15. mrpink

mrpink Registered Member

It's standard procedure lol, Exploit Shield also works this way with dragon AFAIK

16. The Red Moon

Thanks.
    learn something new everyday.:)

17. Bodhitree

Panda doesn't work with Opera though. Should I rename that to Chrome? Ahahah.

Seriously, I think MBAM-Pro with everything disabled but the Web Filter might be the way to go to enhance security. I can find absolutely no system drag, or web browsing slowdowns with just that aspect turned on. But the moment I enable the other stuff - the system takes a nose dive. I am thinking of re-buying MBAM and using the thing as a once-a-week on demand scanner, and realtime web filter backup for Bullguard. It wouldn't impact anything, and would only add a new layer.

18. southcat

southcat Registered Member

That is very great idea.:thumb: I also have MBAM Pro to run on-demand only, i never think to use it that way you think.

Hello Beethoven1770, how about "Do Not Track Me", might also worth consider.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.