Urgent help XP

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Cochise, Feb 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

My bro-in-law just taken possession of his spanking new 'Time' machine - all the bells and whistles - NTL Broadband etc.,
    Problem:- Can receive email OK - but can't access the Web or send mail?
    When trying to access either he gets error message pops up:- "OE (orIE) has encountered a problem and needs to close, we are very sorry for the inconvenience. More Info:-
    App. name;MS1MN.exe. Appver;6.0.2800.1106. Mod name;WBHOOK32.dll"
    All ideas gratefully received.
    Time support says it's a dicky file and needs to reinstall from Disk?? which he has to buy at lots of Bucks!!!
    Are they joking or what??

TIA - Best Regards to all, Cochise (Good Old England) :doubt:

2. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Hi Cochise,

Could you see if this helps:

To disable download scan in VirusScan 6.xx, do the
    following:
    1. Open VirusScan Central
    2. Click on Pick a Task
    3. Choose 'Change my VirusScan Settings'
    4. Choose 'Configure Vshield background settings'.
    5. Uncheck download scan and apply the changes.

Regards,

Pieter

Note: the way to do this could be slightly different in other versions of McAfee

3. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Hello again Pieter,
    I just knew you would answer the Bugle call. I've been boasting to all and sundry that you were the Man.
    Your solution sounds pretty likely but just remember I'm still learning and my dearly loved Bro'-in-Law has had 12 hours of Puter lessons over a period of 6 weeks!! so he's so Newbie he gets the shakes just touching his Mouse. (Honest).
    Just so I don't look a total twonk.....where will I find 'Viruscan Central? - Taskbar? Where please.
    I've got 98se - His looks like Concorde flight deck!!!

So Willco and out Pieter and thanks. Cochise.

4. Pieter_Arntz

Hi Cochise,

I´ll try not to let you down. ;)
    In his systray he will find a symbol that looks like a magnifying glass. That one opens the console.
    I´ll give you a link to a McAfee tutorial where you can see some screenshots: http://www.cc.utu.fi/english/virus/vscan-ohje.html

Regards,

Pieter

5. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Excellent Pieter,
    I've printed that Tutorial.......can I assume it applies to XP?

Anyway I'll slide off down to his Adobe to-morrow and with a bit of luck totally impress the bum off him.

I'll be Back - Regards Cochise (its John really) :cool:

6. Pieter_Arntz

Hi Cochise,

(I´ll stick with Cochise if you don´t mind).
    It should apply to all Windows versions. This is a McAfee related problem. I hope it helps. Otherwise you´ll have to teach him how to become a member here. ;)

Regards,

Pieter

7. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Thank you very much for your prompt assistance

Pieter, I will be passing all this info on to him today. I still can't help but feel his problem has something to do with his ISP (NTL)!
    I don't see why his puter is 'apologising' for non access to the outside world.

Everything else works perfectly except his IE and OE access, incoming mail works OKo_O

I'll be back, Cochise. :cool:

8. Pieter_Arntz

Hi Cochise,

I´m pretty much convinced the problem is with McAfee.
    If what I gave you above does not work, find the other file that is causing the conflict: MS1MN.exe and look at the properties. I can´t find anything about that one, so I would like to know where it comes from.

Regards,

Pieter

9. Primrose

Primrose Registered Member

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=ISO-8859-1&client=googlet&q=MSIMN.exe&btnG=Google+Search

Hi John, ;)

You have a typo...it is MSIMN.exe like in" i " and Pieter will help you with the rest.

Cheers,
    John

10. Primrose

BTW- my guess is that your brother is infected with Yaha virus.

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/t1041630940

He might want to try one of the on-line scans here at wilders.

Try the Panda one first.

11. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Would you believe it. My Bro'-in-Law missed out the fact that he had allowed his Grandson to load KazAA ino_O?? when he told me about the prob. And that his Comp. had shook a 6 after that (Why DO they lie).

Anyway, once I got the full story we went thro' Restore (Which I don't have on mine) and guess what? it coughed up its fur-ball and it's now going like a train.

So I've given his legs a good slapping and told him to keep sticky-fingered kids off his gear in future.

Full credit to you ALL-Stars.
    Greastest of regards Cochise :D

12. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Funny, i just googled on that WBHOOK32.DLL and found connections with Kazaa (the cydoor spyware in that version) and mcafee, and connections to Yahaa and some recommendations how to get rid of it, like replacing kazaa for the no-spy version, the yahaa removal tool from the at/av sites, the online scanning (if mcafee doesn't find it it might be unreliable at the moment and could need un- and new reinstall after cleansing) and the system restore.
    You did all of that, so still go for the advised online scan to make sure all is ok now, create a new restore point from there.
    So all advices given above were correct and related to your problem. What a team here hey!!

13. Pieter_Arntz

Hey Cochise,

Don´t sell yourself short. You found a solution yourself.
    The error can have been caused by KaZaa itself, but the chances of picking up Yahaa, as Primrose suggested, are quit good on KaZaa. :eek:
    You may want to get rid of the spyware files that came with KaZaa by downloading AdaWare 6 or Spybot S&D.
    Both can be found here.
    By using the restore they were rendered harmless, but they are still there .

Regards,

Pieter

14. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Big, Big thank you to everyone.

Will zoom off to his home on the morrow and D/L Ad. 6.0 for him (I think Spybot might be more than he can cope with just yet).

All your solutions could still be the answer to his problemo and Kazaa was probable cause eh?

Can't wait to set his pacemaker off again to-morrow :D :D.

Very best to All, Cochise, (Good Old England) :cool:

15. Primrose

And just to make sure he does not use that system restore method again and bring those badboys right back on his system...give him this info..and with those screen shot...get rid of that stuff now..and reset a new restore point as of today when it is finally all cleanuped on the spyware.

What is System Restore?

One of the new features of Windows Me and Windows XP is System Restore. This feature, which is enabled by default, is used by Windows to restore files on your computer in case they become damaged. If you experience a problem with your system that is caused by software, System Restore gives you the opportunity to go back to a point where things were working correctly.

Windows XP stores this information in the SYSTEM VOLUME   information folder. These folders are updated when the computer restarts.

NOTE: Both the _RESTORE folder in WinME and the System volume information folder in Win XP are marked with the hidden attribute, and, by default, Windows is set to not display such files or folders.

Even after you have found a virus and your AV has cleaned your PC you still might get an indication you still have the virus but it can not be deleted in these folders.

Problem is..the system restore also has a copy of all those virus and trojans that have infected your system. They are in a compressed mode...your ANTIVIRUS knows they are there but can not help you get rid of them, so you must do it manually.

GO TO THE FIRST LINK AND FOLLOW THE SCREEN SHOTS TO GET RID OF THIS IN THE "SYSTEM VOLUME" INFO FOLDER THE SECOND LINK WILL DO IT FOR WIN ME IN THE "_RESTORE FOLDER".

NAME: Disabling System Restore on Windows XP
    ALIAS: Disabling Windows XP AutoRestore feature

http://www.europe.f-secure.com/v-descs/sfc_dis1.shtml

NAME: Disabling System Restore on Windows ME
    ALIAS: Disabling Windows ME AutoRestore feature

http://www.europe.f-secure.com/v-descs/sfc_dis.shtml

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.