Upgread or not?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Oleg, May 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oleg

Oleg Registered Member

Should I upgread NOD32 2.5 to version 2.50.19?

2. Matt_Smi

Matt_Smi Registered Member

I am just going to wait for the component update to be available. From what I have heard the new update just fixes one problem that I am not experiencing, so I see no reason to hurry and upgrade.

3. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

See thread What's new 2.50.19 version. At least one person had a problem.

4. Stephanos G.

Stephanos G. Registered Member

No problem at all here

5. Gor

Gor Registered Member

I had some Inet speed problems with NOD v2.50.16. Now, with v2.50.19, it's all ok.:)

6. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Thanks for letting us know, and welcome to Wilders Gor.

Cheers :D

7. luvhirez

luvhirez Registered Member

Hi gor,
    Are you on dialup?
    When i updated to 2.5.16. my internet seemed slower or slower to load. than before. maybe an update may fix it :)

8. Gor

Gor Registered Member

No, I am on wifi.

9. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

o_O Does the new version help with Internet speed. I have not noticed a big slow down as such but do know my computer with AVG pro installed loads pages faster than the one with NOD 2.5.16.

I know I have it set for optimum security which I prefer but this post made me curious regarding speeds. AVG Pro seems to be faster when surfing as I do not see the little scanning box on pages I see NOD scanning on my notebook computer. o_O

I have only recently uninstalled and re-installed NOD for the last update :'(

10. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

Robyn,

gor just above you noticed an speedup - you might too. I'd say you can probably wait until the update downloads - it won't be too long to wait... we hope.

regards

Greg

11. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

Thanks, I will wait for the update on the server as my main working computer is my PC at the moment. I use my notebook more in the evenings when I have slowed down myself ;) hopefully the auto one will be out soon but who knows there may be another change log before this o_O
    AVG just updates the components (critical or recommended) so NOD works a bit different from the way I was always used to.

I will be interested to see if it does speed things up as I am undecided about installing NOD when my AVG sub. ends on my main PC. I know AVG uses more resources but it doesn't slow any browsing down :(

12. Stan999

Stan999 Registered Member

Does AVG scan HTTP like NOD's IMON HTTP scanner does?

The NOD IMON HTTP scanner adds an extra layer of protection by scanning web sites you are surfing and can stop potential infections before they are even download to a machine. I like this added protection and the fact that
    the NOD HTTP scanner also uses their AH.

It would seem that if you want to compare an AVs speed that doesn't have the HTTP scanning feature with NOD you would need to disable NOD's HTTP scanner for an accurate check.

BTW, I don't notice any browsing speed difference with the NOD HTTP scanner enabled or disabled on a 3Mb cable connection. If I time the time it takes for large page to fully open it seems the same with no noticeable difference. However, each platform is a bit different.

13. Oleg

Oleg Registered Member

The only problem I have updates download Is slow about 64K

14. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

;) Thanks Stan

I had a look at the components in AVG 'thinking' the Resident Shield was the one which scanned pages but have found out this is just files + a few other things and not like IMON at all. I do like the protection of IMON and always considered AVG's stance on Heuristics to be good (as supported in magazines etc) but now I have configured NOD I realise there is no way I can tighten the security of AVG to this level. Perhaps most of it is pre-configured but with NOD at least I can secure to the level I prefer and that is the best possible security. I know someone who AVG alerted to a 'nasty' on a page but that was the one and only I know about.

It certainly has given me more to think about when my renewal sub is due, even though I have read AVG's scanning engine is hard to beat, I would prefer to have nothing for any scan to find than say AVG found 'xyz' which I don't want :'( If NOD stops it before it gets to me then :)

I notice NOD scans an update to Ad-aware etc which I do not notice with AVG so it definitely is working harder in the backgound protecting me outside of e-mail/file scanning. Mainly my speed is fine just the odd pages I notice the little scanner box scanning before I se the page but if that is for my protection then I will just wait for NOD to scan ;) if the new version does help then great but I certainly have more to compare with what I thought was a good AV on my main PC when the renewal arrives.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.