Upgrading motherboard

Discussion in 'hardware' started by djg05, Aug 9, 2015.

1. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

I currently have an ASUS A97 Evo R1 with AM3 4 core 3 Ghz which is now 4 years old. I am contemplating upgrading to a ASUS Sabertooth 990 FX R2.0 fitted with AM3 8 core Piledriver 3.50Ghz.

I am wondering if this is a worthwhile upgrade? I am not a gamer but use quite a bit of DTP which does run slow on my current setup. Currently have 13 Gb installed. As far as I can see the ASUS uses the same memory.

Any thoughts welcome.

2. Wroll

Wroll Registered Member

The upgrade will give you a boost if your work is CPU intensive, but Piledriver is 3 years old (yes, AMD had nothing new on the Desktop market in the past 3 years). If I had your money to spend I would either go Skylake or wait for Zen (AMD future CPUs which should be released next year).

3. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

Thanks for the info. Skylake looks good but is twice the price and would have to upgrade the memory as well so puts it out of budget. Just had a quick look at the Zen and that will also move to DDR4. Also likely early versions will need to be proven before commiting.

Anyway, food for thought.

4. harsha_mic

harsha_mic Registered Member

Also, remember DDR4 is quite new, and lot costlier than DDR3 at this moment.
    What are the software's do you use for DTP. Maybe check for benchmarks and see how the newer processors from AMD/Intel stacks against to your current setup.

5. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

It is a worthwhile upgrade and considerably cheaper than Skylake (or even Haswell/Broadwell).
    Also, with that mobo you can overclock the CPU past 4.0GHz with ease (with the proper cooler).

Last edited: Aug 10, 2015
  6. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

Just remember that in terms of operating system licenses, a new motherboard is considered a new computer and new computers need new operating system licenses. So be sure to budget for that too. This applies to all OEM/System Builders license - which by far, the vast majority of Windows licenses are.

7. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

Thanks for all the comments.

8. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Do you have SSDs? If not it is a much more worthwhile upgrade than a new CPU.

9. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

I second that. All my builds use SSDs now - don't see how I could live with an HD, except for storing backup images of my SSDs.

10. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

Thanks - yes I do have SSD

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.