Upgrading from 4 to 5, forcing reboot does not reboot

Discussion in 'ESET Server & Remote Administrator' started by cj3set, Oct 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cj3set

cj3set Registered Member

Hi all,

I have created a package in the Installation Package Editor, with the switch: /qn REBOOT="Force"

The package installs fine (using gpo), but the computers does not reboot after install. Instead, the computer logs on and Eset complains that it needs to reboot. This happens with 32 and 64 bit Windows 7. Why doesn't the switch /qn REBOOT="Force" work as expected?

Any input with this issue is appreciated

2. dwomack

dwomack Eset Staff Account

3. cj3set

cj3set Registered Member

The installation is password protected, in regards that users cannot change settings after install. I have tried to add PASSWORD="Password" after the switch /qn REBOOT="Force". The package installs successfully with group policy, but still does not restart automatically afterwards. The computer just displays ctrl+alt+del after the gpo has installed the package, and when logging on, Eset notifies that a restart is reccomended. When using Push Install from the console, the package installs and restarts automatically when using the same package. So it seems that the switch works fine when using the console, but not with group policy.

I would like to use push install, but I have not found a way to dynamically add new clients to get the package installed using this method. This is the reason that i want to use gpo, so that computers automatically get the package installed when joining the domain. With Push Install I have to manually install the package for every new client, right?

4. dwomack

dwomack Eset Staff Account

When using a group policy object to deliver the einstaller.exe file to a workstation, the command line switches you see in the Packages Manager for that package do not apply. That only applies if you are using a push installation from RA.

My best recommendation would be to:

1. Create an executable version of the push install package by following method two in this KB article:
    http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN2227

2. Build a batch file that references that file (from an accessible location) and has the switches you applied to the package (i.e. - /qn REBOOT="Force"). Make sure you use some scripting in the batch file to query the OS architecture (32 vs. 64-bit), then have it choose the appropriate installer executable. You can research syntax to do this online.

3. Reference the batch file in your GPO instead of using the installer you created from the packages manager.

This will standardize the installation, and give you a vehicle to deliver the package to a new workstation dynamically as you desire.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.