Upgrading Drupal

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Riverrun, May 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Riverrun

Riverrun Registered Member

I installed Drupal 6 last night at Localhost. Drupal wants to upgrade to 6.12 but I haven't a clue how to go about. I followed what I thought were the instructions on Upgrade.txt in the extracted tarball but ended up destroying the installation. Mind you a few commands in terminal and that was easily put right.

I've searched the net and the only information I could get related to performing an upgrade on a remote server with Windows...not much use.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Riverrun

Tried untaring the tarball to/etc/drupal and that didn't work either.

3. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Never done something like that ... will take a look at it when I get some time.
    Mrk

4. Riverrun

Take your time, Mrk, there's no hurry.

I'm just playing around.

5. Riverrun

In case anybody's interested, I dropped Drupal and installed Joomla. It installed a lot easier. Mysql complained a bit and I sudo apt-get updated and that seemed to fix it but it was very reluctant to allow me to log-in prior to that.

Playing around with Joomla, just getting the feel of it.

Course, I should have run apt-get update and apt-get upgrade at the outset and that would most likely avoided the problems in the first place.

Never mind, I'm learning a little every day and for me, Linux is just the job. I just love it.

Last edited: May 18, 2009
  6. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Hi

Just seem this.

I personally pefer to install Drupal, Joomla direct from the sites as they are not really installed apps.
    Both Joomla and Drupal upgrade easily between minor versions 99% of the time DB changes are not needed, copy new files and run any upgrade/install scripts or change settings as the release/upgrade notes dictate.

Not got any experience of using these via a repository, but well worth giving both Joomla and Drupal a try, as both quite different, but both good (I actually develop using another open source CMS which I find better for my needs/uses).

I would consider trying other CMSes as well if you have the time, SOME that I've tried and thought were good include MODx, Silverlight, YACS (disclaimer I am one of the developers of YACS, but I did try YACS and liked it before I came a developer...), CMS Made Simple.

Cheers, Nick

7. Riverrun

I ended up installing Joomla and the install was very easy. All the files are in var/www which makes it very convenient. I'm getting the hang of it and I've been busy shaping a template for use. Hard to beat CMS for fast web-site creation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.