Upgrading Drive C:

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by cwbabcock, Dec 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cwbabcock

cwbabcock Registered Member

I have Acronis True Image 10, Windows XP Pro, an 80gb C: drive and a 20gb D: drive. I also have a 160gb external drive. I'm waiting momentarily for the UPS truck to arrive with a new Seagate 250gb internal drive.

This is my plan: Completely backup C: drive to the external hard drive. Shut down computer. Insert new hard drive. Boot to the bootable cd that I created with Acronis, partition the new drive with 200gb in one partition and 50 in the other. Restore from the external drive all files including the system files and then later copy the D: drive to the 50gb partition.

How does that sound? Do I have it correct?

Chuck

2. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

No, Files & Folders backup is not the proper way to migrate the system to a new drive.

You should create an entire disk image of your old drive (by checking the tickbox next to Disk 1) storing it on the external. Boot from the Rescue CD and validate the image. Start the Recovery wizard and verify that the image on the external will be accessible on restore as well, then Cancel and exit without hitting Proceed at the end of the wizard.

After you have replaced the system drive with the new 250 GB (you may leave it blank) boot again from the Rescue CD and start Recovery, restore disk/partitions. Don't check Disk 1 this time. Select the C: partition and in a further step resize it to 200 GB by drawing the right edge of the graphic further to the right. A few steps later reply that, yes, you want to restore yet another partition. You will be taken back to the partitions selection screen where you will now check D: and resize it to take up the rest of the new disk space. Yes to jump back again and add the MBR and Track 0 to the previous two selections. Now you will click on Proceed at the end of the wizard and so restore the entire drive with partions properly sized for the new drive's capacity.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2006
  3. cwbabcock

I've completed a complete drive C: back up on my external hard drive. Rescue cd works and I can see the hard drive when I reboot with it. Now the question is: How do I restore? Do I restore each of the ten backup files one by one or is there a way to do it all in one fell swoop?

Chuck

4. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

Chuck,

From Rescue CD validate the image. When you select any single file comprising the image file-set you see top right that TI is aware they belong toghether ("This is Volume N of a multivolume image archive").

To validate or restore you select any single file from the set and TI takes into account all of them, in the correct order. This holds true even if you later append some incremental (or differential) images to the original full backup.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2006
  5. bumpyneck

bumpyneck Registered Member

Hello
    Could you not buy a caddy £9/£12 Fit your new 250 drive into the caddy
    "Clone" your "c" drive to the one in the Caddy
    Remove the old drive from computer and adjust links on New 250 drive to make it master and fit in computer and boot and check
    If all ok you could fit old drive in caddy and format or keep it as a comlete back up
    I think this will work:doubt:

Bumpyneck

6. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

I also think it will.

However, the imaging and partition restore with resize approach has quite a few advantages over cloning:

- it appears to be a more robust technique
    - both drives are not processed at the same time and the image is there for safety
    - it allows partition resize other than proportional to meet the new drive capacity
    - it allows easy creation of an additional partition of a chosen size
    - it prevents the bad sector flags (if any) to be transferred from the old drive to the new one.

7. cwbabcock

One other question and I wait for the courage to do this job.... how about formating this new hard drive? I know that Acronis TI will partition the drive but do I to format it?

Chuck

8. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

No, it may be blank.

The restoration would erase the partitioning and formatting you did before anyway.

9. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

10. LenC

LenC Registered Member

bVolk -

Quick question in regard to your original response to this thread - is the order for the recovery important? You indicate c,d and then mbr/track 0. Could they have been done in any random order?

11. cwbabcock

Thanks to everyone for your advice and help. It's done! and it went very smoothly. I now have the new 250 gb drive in a partitioned and it boots up and runs fine. Now to copy my old D: drive over to the other partition and take it out of the computer.

Chuck

12. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

I guess you could do that, but you would get the partitions on the new drive in a changed sequence as TI assigns the space from the start onward. Perhaps that's what you want to achieve?

I wonder if that would mess up the bootability. I don't know. A modification of boot.ini would be probably required.

13. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

Hi again Chuck,

I'm glad you succeeded :D

14. cwbabcock

However, I have one more problem. My new 250gb hard drive was partitioned with one 200gb partition. The rest has been left "unallocated" How do I make that into drive D: and clone my old D: onto that partition?

Chuck

15. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

Good morning Chuck,

You should have done it within the first restore, toghether with C: and the MBR - all in one run. It was supposed that you start from an entire drive image (containing C:, D: and MBR). That's the kind of image you are using, isn't it? (image created with the box next to Disk 1 checked ?)

Perform one more partition restore selecting partition D: to restore and the unallocated space as destination. If you meet problems, you can simply redo the whole restore following Menorcaman's instructions if mine were a little terse.

If I'm missing something please give more details.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.