Upgrading C: Drive - SCSI - Confused about something

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by logikos, Apr 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. logikos

logikos Registered Member

Hi. Somebody please help me get unconfused about this.

I have a Dell Precision 450 with two SCSI drives. My C: drive is the one I want to upgrade to a larger drive. I want an exact image of it so I don't have to reinstall software or lose any data.

I bought a larger SCSI drive and put it into my system, which will be my new C: drive. The system recognized it and is assigned the drive letter F: temporarily (SCSI drive #2 is partitioned into D: and E:).

I tried using Ghost 9 to copy C: to F:. There was setting to make the new drive (F:) bootable and active (and was supposed to deactivate the old drive C: as the boot drive while it was at it - yikes!). After the process was completed, I unhooked my C: drive, thinking now it would boot off of the F: drive, but my system did not boot at all. Luckily, I when I hooked C: drive back, it boot up as normal. So I am back to where I started. I am relieved I didn't lose anything. I am uninstalling Ghost because the documentation is lousy.

So, here is where my questions are.

I want to try True Image to do this task for me. However, there are some things I don't understand.

1) If I transfer the contents of my old boot drive C: to the new, larger boot drive F:, how does drive F: become drive C:? I mean, when transfer is complete and turn off the machine, and I unhook the cable from C:, when I restart, the new drive is recognized still as drive F: in Winodws. Windows cannot find drive C: anymore. How do I make it drive C:, or have Windows boot off drive F:?

2) With SCSI drives, each drive has a unique id, i.e. 0-6 in my system. Does the drive I have as drive C: have to have ID=0?

Thanks for all your help. I am scared to death :eek: that I will screw up my C: drive trying to upgrade because of these unknown issues.

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello logikos,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Cloning and System Transferring Software.

First of all, I would like to tell you that you will not loose any data on your old drive using Acronis True Image. In the window where you are asked what you would like to do with the old drive you need to leave the default setting "Keep data".

As for the cloning process, please do the following:
    1. Install Acronis True Image (letest 826 build) and create Acronis Bootable CD using the "Create Bootable Rescue Media" tool;
    2. Turn off the computer and plug your new hard drive, then turn on the computer and boot from the CD you created (you may need to set the CD drive as you first boot device in BIOS);
    3. Wait till the computer boots and you get Acronis True Image main screen;
    4. Click on the "Disk Clone" wizard and follow the instructions in it;
    5. After the cloning is complete, turn off the computer, unplug the old drive and plug in the new one in the same way the old one was plugged before;
    6. Turn on the computer (correct boot device priority in BIOS if needed).

This should work for you.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

Last edited: Apr 28, 2005
  3. logikos

logikos Registered Member

Thank you! ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.