Upgrades and Update defs still free?

Discussion in 'Trojan Defence Suite' started by AShaR, Mar 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AShaR

AShaR Registered Member

Is TDS-4 still a pay for it once and that's it product? I am looking at various options and don't mind paying the 2 user license fee as long as I don't have to renew this license every year.

2. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

If you buy TDS3 now you will get TDS4 as a free upgrade when it is released, :)

3. AShaR

AShaR Registered Member

Thanks. Is there a license fee to pay yearly for the signture updates?

4. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

There is not at the moment but I do not know what the future policy may be. :)

Pilli

5. AShaR

AShaR Registered Member

Ok thanks.

6. Mephisto

Mephisto Guest

That's not giving previous TDS-3 users anything ... Won't TDS-4 be available as a free download to the general public when it's released? ... big diff?
    just having access to a scanner is worthless if the definitions are 6 months old.

Just admit the fact that DCS is going to start charging for updates and get on with it ... this dancing around the issue is getting very old - very fast.

How many people are in charge of this decision? ... 3 or 4? ... and you can't come to an agreement on what your going to do about future updates? ... that's rediculous.

Is the gray area left hanging out there just to suck in new users who actually think future definitions might be free? ... pretty shady marketing tactics in my opinion.

7. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Mephisto,

TDS-4 free? I would think not. That's a novel commercial approach, charge for neither the product nor the support for that product. That renders it somewhat difficult to make the payroll.

What exactly is wrong with having a situation as Pilli described? Given the dynamic nature of the market and malware development, why would anyone commit to a fixed course before they are ready? That makes absolutely no commercial sense.

As for the marketing and product positioning, DCS's approach is above board, clear, and in line with their competition. It's exactly as one would expect.

Finally, it is always better to use facts than unsupported speculation. Simply because those facts are not know to you today does not give you license to randomly pull idle speculation out of thin air. The content of your post is completely unsupported and bordering on a gratuituous troll.

Regards,

Blue

8. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

There has been some talk about the possibility of maybe a yearly charge for updates . Only talk but , Wayne ( of DCS ) actually said there was that consideration . I , for one , have no problem with that . First thing I heard was like $ 10 . 00 a year . That was a while back and nothing since . Only tossing some things around . Think about it though . DCS should be allowed to charge for updates . When you pay $ 49 . 00 or whatever , is it really a problem to pay a little bit per year for continued updates ? AV companies do it . And , the last I heard , I thought was a very reasonable price . I just want TDS4 . Do not care at this point about charging a minimal yearly update fee . And like Blue wrote . NO . It is not free . Only if you have purchased the TDS product in the past will you be upgraded free . Hope that helps

9. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Frankly Mephisto I think you are speaking a little out of turn. First no one has said a word about TDS-4 being a free download to the general public. 2ndly DCS has stated it would be free to currently licensed TDS owners. Big difference.

It is rediculous to say the can't come to an agreement. It is not the number of people making a decision, but how the company wants to market and do what is best for both it's customers and itself. That is not always easy, and certainly compared to other vendors, DCS has an above board record on how it treats it's customers.

I wish every other vendor out there was as "shady" as DCS.

Pete

10. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

I wish every other vendor out there was as "shady" as DCS

I am with you Pete

11. dallen

dallen Registered Member

Mephisto,
    I have to admit that some of your claims are baseless...for example:
    It better not be or I'll be upset because I paid for it. I must agree with Blue's conclusion:
    These are the kinds of problems you should expect when the facts are guarded like precious secrets.

Mephisto, I think that your point about the number of decision makers is valid. I find it hard to believe that these decision haven't been made. I find it more likely that the decisions just aren't being communicated yet. Which leads to the point that Mephisto made that I agree with most:
    It's one thing not to want to give a release date, but can you honestly tell us that there is a reason not to disclose information like how the updates will work. The only good reason I can think of is that it hasn't been decided, if that's the case... o_O

Last edited: Mar 11, 2005
  12. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

It is ready, come and get it, in it's own time when it is ready.
    It wil be decided when it is decided and being told us.
    How can we know how updates are being done when the product is not even there for us yet to update at all.
    Read the wishlist of new features and the replies on those.
    There has ever only asked a question, a thought, to the registered users in the private forum, we had a discussion, some thoughts exchanges.
    If you want to read and share opinions make sure to have access to that place as a registered TDS-3 user and continue the discussions there if you think there are any new points to add.
    Who cares about the number of decission makers? Is a company not able to make their own decissions and tell the public how it will be done?

Many long time users have proposed a yearly membership, subscription, renewal or anything to have our goodies and updates guaranteed, as there are why never paid anything fur updates/ upgrades since TDS-1 many years ago. This way we can hope for more new goodies over the years to come.

Oh and Mephisto you are invited to register as a member of the forum, both forums, enjoy more forum goodies and options, and it's free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.