Upgrade V2.7

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Conder, Jan 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Conder

Conder Registered Member

We currently have V2.7 installed and licensed until 2011. Are we eligable to upgrade to a later version or would we have to pay?

Is there an upgrade route or is it simply remove old version and install the newest version?

Thanks in advance.

2. Capp

Capp Registered Member

You can upgrade any time your license is still valid. All you would need to do is use your current username/password to download the latest version. Then just uninstall the previous version and install the newer and you are good to go.

HTH

3. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

Your license is good for either version 2.7 or 3.
    Version 4 is currently in beta.
    The current version can be downloaded here:
    http://www.eset.com/download/registered_software.php
    The safest method of upgrading is removing the current version and
    installing the new.

4. Conder

Conder Registered Member

thanks chaps.

Big job then, is it worth doing?

5. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Surely it is, v3 has much better malware detection than v2 and v4 has improved cleaning / HIPS.

6. Conder

Conder Registered Member

I presume there is no central way of uninstalling as it would make the product weak!

Visiting all of the machines is going to be a right pain!

7. Capp

Capp Registered Member

If you are using Business Edition and have the Remote Administrator Console, You can push an uninstall the same way you would an install.

8. Conder

Conder Registered Member

We are / have.

So in theory, I should be able to do it without getting out of my seat - My kind of upgrade!

thanks all for your help.

9. Capp

Capp Registered Member

That's what being a network admin is all about, never having to leave your chair. lol.

No problems and hit us up again if you run into any snags.

10. Conder

Conder Registered Member

Okay into snag one:

As I understand it the Server that hosts the Remote Admin Console uses its own installed copy of Nod to down load the latest updates etc.

This machine is currently running V2.7.

What order do I do things? Uninstall V2.7 from the Server, install V3 on the Server, force remote removal from clients then push V3 version out?

Is this correct. Will V2.7 clients lose updates until they're upgraded?

11. Capp

Capp Registered Member

No, the only thing you'll miss out on is program upgrades.

I have in my office, v2.7 on my SBS2003 server. It runs the mirror for the network. On my desktops, I have a mix of v2.7 and v3.0. All of my machines get the definition updates with no problems.

Since program updates aren't pushed via Auto Update that often, you don't have to worry about whether you'll get them or not through the RAC. You really only need to update the program with each new build release if you are experiencing problems. If all is working well in your office, keep the currently installed build and the definitions will keep coming.

If you want to keep v2.7 on your server, you are more than welcome to. You shouldn't have any problems. If you do want to upgrade to v3.0, you don't have to do any of them in any specific order, because as I mentioned, the only thing that is being pushed to the clients is the definition updates.

Does that make sense?

12. Conder

Conder Registered Member

I think that makes sense. So I can go straight ahead and upgrade the Server to Version 3 and then start uninstalling the V2 clients and pushing out the V3 clients in their place.

13. Capp

Capp Registered Member

Yes, that will work. There isn't a specific order it has to be done in, so whatever is most convenient.

14. Conder

Conder Registered Member

Right problem two!

My RAC is V1.0.9 and doesn't seem to like the MSI files for version three.

Do I need to upgrade the RAC to a later version and is there an upgrade path or is it an uninstall / reinstall?

15. Capp

Capp Registered Member

You should be able to upgrade the RAC without having to uninstall the older version. I haven't personally ever seen any problems this way. If you do, of course all you have to do is uninstall and reinstall with the newest version.

To get the new version, in RAC, just go to Help | Check for console updates. It'll check what version you have and provide you the download info for the newest version.

This turned out to be quite an undertaking huh

16. Conder

Conder Registered Member

It's more because I'm panicking over it going wrong. I think in principle it's easy, I just recall having loads of grief getting it up and running in the first place.

That was mostly down to our supplier struggling with .lic files though. I don't think many people were using it in the UK at the time so we struggled for support.

17. Capp

Capp Registered Member

I see. Yeah, that would cause some major problems.
    I bet it all goes smoothly after you get the installers downloaded and your install packages ready to go. You shouldn't run into anything major.

18. Conder

Conder Registered Member

Thanks for all your help. I'll give it a go in the morning now!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.