Upgrade to ZA 6 or not...

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Tooltimetim, Jul 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tooltimetim

Tooltimetim Registered Member

I've encountered a few problems using ZoneAlarm Pro 6.... on my other computers on my network so I am going to stick with the last version released. Its version "5.5.094.00". I am just curious if sticking with this version or version 4 would be safer.... if 4, which version number of version 4 would be good to use and stay with for awhile?

Thanks all,

Tim :)

2. q1aqza

q1aqza Registered Member

A lot of prior posts on this forum have always recommended V4.5xxx.

It's a shame you're encountering problems. V6 really is a very nice FW and so far mine is running very smoothly. What probs are you experiencing?

3. Tooltimetim

Tooltimetim Registered Member

Hello q1aqza, thank you for your reply! :)

The problems I am experiencing is when I shut down my computer and then start it back up, I can't seem to connect to the Internet. I have Service Pack 2, Windows XP Home Edition. I go to the wireless connection window and choose my network to connect to it, but it won't always work. I either have to reboot 3 times or more or give up. When it does connect, it says "Limited or no connectivity". I am on a LAN here at home with 5 other computers NOT running any firewall whatsoever...

4. q1aqza

q1aqza Registered Member

Presumably you are using a wireless router? If so that should already be providing you with excellent hardware FW protection but it is still worth having a software firewall for outgoing protection.

If you haven't done so already try putting your local LAN into ZA's trusted zone -it might be blocking your PC getting it's IP address from the router (if you have one).

I've had similar probs with my wireless before but it wasn't firewall related, it was a clash between using Netgear wireless software and the in-built XP wireless management - which was solved by updating the Netgear drivers.

5. beetlejuice69

beetlejuice69 Registered Member

You`ll see in ZA Firewall-Main-Advanced a spot to have your wireless settings put in automatically. Maybe you could see if that`s checked?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.