Upgrade to v4; your thoughts?

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by am_dew, Mar 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. am_dew

am_dew Registered Member

From the looks of things here, it looks like a fair share of folks have had problems since upgrading to V4.

Let's hear (briefly) your experience with the upgrade and whether or not you recommend doing it or not?

Do you have to completely uninstall v3 and lose all your settings, etc.?

2. xMarkx

xMarkx Registered Member

Hello,

I haven't upgraded to v4 yet because I'm happy with v3 for now. When v4 has a build update and the major bugs that are common in all new software releases are fixed I will probably upgrade.

I will completely uninstall v3 to be safe. There aren't any settings to lose - the default settings are the recommended ones.

3. martinrabson

martinrabson Guest

Uninstalled ESS V3 - Vista 64 & Windows 7 Build 7000/7057
    Installed ESS V4 default settings, no connectivity issues.

4. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Well, as usual i'm still murking around with 2.7. I always been the sort to wait for a couple of version jumps if possible then get on board when i see everything is finally worked out.

Apparently v4 will require some additional bug fixes or other adjustments given the volume of complaints lately.

Better late then sorry is my motto!

EASTER

5. pegr

pegr Registered Member

It would be a good idea to export the settings from v3 first before installing v4. Apart from some additional features, v4 isn't that different from v3, so it should be possible to import v3 settings into v4. That way existing application firewall rules will be preserved along with other settings.

6. PatG

PatG Registered Member

Upgraded the minute v4 beta was available, have upgraded EVERY build until the final was available. ALWAYS have installed right on top of old, including version 3 and chose "keep settings" when installing. Haven't had the first problem since day one and its been a keeper, recommend program very highly.:cool:

7. DarrenDavisLeeSome

DarrenDavisLeeSome Registered Member

I don't know. I followed the usually routine. Uninstalled ESS 3.0. Installed 4.0. It was smoothe. No problems. Other than the fact it did something to my TV Tuner card drivers/apps and/or recording drivers/apps. So I had to uninstall and reinstall all that stuff too before going on to ESS 4.0.

I could have imported my setting from ESS 3.0, but there were so few of them I didn't go that route.

So I rebooted, even though wasn't prompted to (never been prompted to reboot after installation but always after uninstallation...weird). Went and got all the (so I thought) updates without a hitch. Rebooted. Something new...a really quick popup before XP shutown. Came back again to find more updates. No biggie. They downloaded and installed fine. Rebooted again. There's that dang popup again. Something to do with dwwin.exe (Dr. Watson) keeps getting invoked. Havent't heard back anything from ESET. Been 2 ~ 3 days.

Okay. So, I noticed all the new toys and security things that they included: SysInspector: not interested. Network/File System activity Monitor: not interested. SSL Filter: not interested, wouldn't even allow me to go to my secured login servers.

I'm kinda disappointed with ESS 4.0. Left a bad taste of Vista AND Internet Explorer 8 in my mouth. They can keep it. If they ever try and force me to upgrade to it, bye bye.

8. NefCanuck

NefCanuck Registered Member

My Vista 64 Ultimate main box installed v4 without a hitch (following the uninstall instructions from ESET) but my Vista 64 Home Premium laptop burped once during the install, crashing out with an error message but a second try resulted in everything installing and running properly :doubt:

NefCanuck

9. Martial

Martial Registered Member

Hello
    I have upgraded to version 4 (64 bits edition) from version 3 (64 bits )
    I had problems with navigating in internet especially with Firefox 3 :frozen screens ,difficulties for accessing some sites
    Reinstalled version 3 :everything is correct
    Eset support says it is because may be bad download or corrupt file :redownload version 4 and reinstall it:Same problems with internet
    Reinstall version 3 :internet navigating is ok, no more frozen screens
    So i will wait another build of version 4
    My system:Vista 64 bits,8 gigs ram
    Nothing was changing in my sytem during this period :just install-reinstall Eset suite

10. adlan

adlan Registered Member

Hi,
    I also upgraded to ESS 4 64bit from ESS 3 64 bit with Vista x64 Home Premium. I havn't had any problems with internet speed or freezes, but have had a few issues with what I believe to be false positives. So far in a few days, ESS 4 has flagged digitally signed files from Microsoft and Symantec as Win32/Agent trojan.

11. Stealthman

Stealthman Registered Member

Hi
    I've just done an upgrade from Eset Smart Security Bus edition v.3 to v4, kept same settings, rebooted when prompted, checked for updates (2 required) & everything's fine - went without a hitch - haven't noticed any difference in browsing speed or anything else, all this on a Win XP Pro 32-bit, 1Gb ram...
    just my 2c worth.
    Jtk

12. am_dew

am_dew Registered Member

Based upon the number and severity of problems I see here, as well as the lack of incentive (ie. new features, etc.) I think I will pass on this one for now. Why chance it when v3 works perfectly fine? I don't have time to be chasing down fixes to problems, uninstalling v4 and reinstalling v3, etc. ESS has served me well, but it looks like it might be time to start considering a new program.

13. kwg

kwg Registered Member

My thoughts, exactly. When my ESET license expires, I'm switching to a different program.

14. DarrenDavisLeeSome

DarrenDavisLeeSome Registered Member

I don't know why so many people are having problems with ESS 4.0.

I have installed ESS 4.0 on 3 systems so far: 2 desktops with XP Pro SP3 and a laptop with Vista Home Premium. Did the typical uninstall using the ESS 3.0 installation package then installed ESS 4.0. Installation went without a hitch. Updates went fine. No internet access problems whatsoever.

I don't know how smoothly the laptop w/Vista is running at the moment with ESS 4.0. I haven't heard about any problems as of yet from the owner. I did use it for 2~3 hours after the ESS 4.0 installation and it ran perfectly.

The other 2 systems (XP SP3) are running ALMOST perfectly. There are only 2 identical issues with those 2 systems: the Application popup that occurs during reboot/shutdown and the DllHost.exe that stays running after running the ESS 4.0 updater. I reckon those could be classified as minor annoyances.

I know I could solve the DllHost.exe issue simply by disabling the System Updates feature in the Advanced Settings. At first I didn't much care for that feature and thought that it was responsible for the Application popup. But after finding out that it was not responsible for the popup I have come to appreciate it and leave the System Updates feature on. Would be nice if ESET would come out with with a patch that shuts down the DllHost.exe when the updater is finished with it. For the meantime, I'll just either kill it in the Task Manager or reboot.

As far as the Application popup is concerned...all I can come up with is that something within the ESS 4.0 update engine along with the shutting down of XP is triggering a Windows Error Reporting process/executable. Since "the windows station is shutting down" the the .DLL file is not initializing to run the Windows Error Reporting popup so that a report could be configured and sent to Microsoft. The Application popup appears so quickly that it can barely be seen (let alone read) at times. But it is almost always heard during reboot/shutdown. Whenever the Application popup occurs there is an entry in the Event/System log. The Application popup during reboot/shutdown only occurs during a current Windows session either after manual (via the EGUI or right-clicking on the Toolbar Icon) or the scheduled/automatic (default every 60 minutes) running of the ESS 4.0 Updater. However, if there is no updating at all during a Windows session there is no popup during the reboot/shutdown of XP.

I have been in cooperation with ESET's Customer Care in trying to deal with this Application popup issue. I have sent them snapshots of the Event/System log entries. I have also sent them a screen capture movie clip of the popup using Windows Media Encoder that clearly shows that there is indeed a popup occuring during shutdown and that it coincides with the entry in the Event/System log.

All in all, I am content with ESS 4.0. I'm not about to switch over to another AV/Security suite. As far as I am concerned ESET's got the best protection available for a reasonable price.

I'm not falling for all that lofty praise that Norton's 360 has been getting lately. Smaller footprint? Big deal. How does it work at protecting my system? I reckon I'll never know. I certainly do not need to go out and build 2 more computer systems just to take advantage of the minimum 3 user license. I don't need Online Storage or Back Up And Restore either.

Both Kaspersky and McAfee AV/Security suites are falling inline with Norton: minimum 3 user license and a bunch of other garbage I don't want or need. Just a stupid gimmick that I'm sure many people will fall for and later be sorry for.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.