Upgrade to new version

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by Arctic, Nov 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arctic

Arctic Registered Member

I just read your guide to install the new process guard. My question is: to uninstall process guard do I have to put my computer in safe mode? Will it not uninstall any other way? I never installed the beta version. I was waiting for the final version ;) I also run worm guard, Port explorer and TDS-3. I also use Zone Alarm 4.5 firewall and linksys router. Will 3.0 still work well with my router? My computer is windows XP home edition, SP1. I am hesitant to install SP2 because I was not sure it is compatible with my other Diamonds programs. Is there any information on SP2 compatibility with other Diamonds programs. Thanks for your help. :)

2. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi Arctic, Uninstall the old version, reboot and the delete the pguard.dat & pghash.dat from the windows\system32\ folder.
    Now install the new version, you can add your registration code after the first reboot. Take your time whilst in learning mode, after two more reboots learning mode will switch off.
    I would also advise you that a new version is due for release within the next few days so it may be worthwhile waiting for that.
    BTW I leave all my resident stuff running when installing as PG does not start until after a reboot.

HTH Pilli.

3. siliconman01

siliconman01 Registered Member

I don't go into safe mode to delete the old version. Here's what has always worked for me.

1. Turn off "Protection Enabled" for ProcessGuard (old version).
    2. Shut down Process Guard GUI (icon in the systray)
    3. Use Add/Remove Programs to remove ProcessGuard.
    4. Use Windows Explorer to remove pguard.dat and pghash.dat from the C:\Windows\System32 folder. (You may not have pghash.dat with your older version of PG.)
    5. Reboot your computer.
    6. Install the new PG V3.0 per Pilli's post. :D I would recommend disabling your virus scanner...just for old times sake.

4. Arctic

Arctic Registered Member

Thank you for your reply Pilli and siliconman01. I printed out the instructions. Pilli I thought this was the final version of process guard3. Is it still in beta testing? I will do as you suggest and wait a few days. Thank you for your help :eek:)

5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

SP2 on XP PRo works fine with all DCS products. One other note. I always remove Wormguard protection before doing installs. I haven't tested all combo's but for me if I go to install a Zone Alarm upgrade it will crash unless wormguard is disabled.

6. Arctic

Arctic Registered Member

Thank you for your reply Peter2150. Perhaps one day soon I will get brave enough to install SP2. I actually got SP2 on a CD. I ordered the final version from Microsoft but have not been brave enough to install it. My main concern was the Diamond products working with it. I also have a couple of products that said SP2 has problems with it. They are: Musicmatch and WordPerfect 11. The following is software that I currently run on a windows XP SP1 machine: TDS-3, Wormguard, Port Explorer, Process Guard, McAfee Antivirus, Zone Alarm 4.5, Musicmatch, Wordperfect 11, SmartWhois, Email tracker pro, Visual route, yahoo messenger, msn messenger. So as you can see I am concerned that I would totally mess up my system and have to reinstall my operating system if SP2 conflicted with anything. Yes, I admit it, I am a coward. lol I would appreciate any feed back about SP2 conflicts with any of these programs or if you know of any other websites that give this information. Thanks :)

7. Peter2150

Artic

I am not familiar with all of your programs, but I do run Zone Alarm, and quite a few others. Do a bit of research on some your programs, on the Microsoft site. What broke a lot of the programs is the SP2 firewall. That was the first thing I turned off since I use zone alarm.

Pete

8. Arctic

Arctic Registered Member

Yes I heard there were issues with the firewall in XP2. However, I am still a bit of a coward. lol I will probably do the upgrade within the next month or so.

Pilli thank you for the info on the upcoming version of process guard. I just noticed a post today that said v3.050 is released. I would assume that is the new verison you were talking about.

We now have the new verison of port explorer & process guard :cool: Now if we could just the the new TDS-4 and wormguard 4, all will be right with the world. lol I do love the Diamond products. They are the best and I recommend them to everyone I know.

9. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi Arctis, I did know when 3.050 was being released but would not post until DCS has actually done it for fear of causing a "where is it thread" :D

Regarding TDS4 & WG4 development is well underway ;)

Please do not delay upgrading to this version, it is a brilliant release and well worth the (now highly reuced) effort.

We are always here to answer your questions should you need to ask.

Cheers. Pilli - Enjoy tour weekend.

10. worldcitizen

worldcitizen Registered Member

Very wise decision Pilli. I was waiting in the wings to start a 'Where is it thread' so your protection is good. (against me)

But I might start a "what's new in this version' thread unless someone very quickly mentions some of the changes & enhancements. I'd like to know like everyone else. Not too vague please.

Regards

Dave

11. Peter2150

Hi Dave

Did you see Jason's post when he announced the new version. It is mainly under the hood touch ups.

Did some work on execution protection. Added a pop warning when you disable PG from the systray, and also a new an improved PG icon thanks to Bowserman.

You probably wouldn't notice much difference unless you were having some issue. Don't think this version warrants much a "whats new thread"

Pete

12. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Also added is an "Are you sure" you want to disable protection pop up mainly there so that if a user inadvertantly clicked the Diasble protection in "Main" or on the Systray icon that they are made aware of what they are doing. :D

Pilli

13. worldcitizen

The warning's ok but the choice of colours is quite drab. Something exciting would have made it more bearable to look at - yuck!!! I'm glad it's not my lunch or breakfast - I'd puke!!

Dave

14. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi Dave, Yeh it is a bit dull just a standard windows poop up :)

Pilli

15. worldcitizen

I was hoping for an mpeg of some dancing girls or even a voice message, after all this is the 21st century.

Dave

16. WCH

WCH Registered Member

Help please!

I'm at a bit of an impasse in updgrading to 3.050. I've unistalled via the control panel, rebooted, and TRIED to delete pcquard.dat and pchash.dat from the system 32 folder. Permission is denied because I don't have access or the files are write protected.

If I attempt to install 3.050 without the system 32 deletions, procguard.sys fails to delete from the system 32 drivers file; code 5. If I try an 'ignore"at this point in the installation, "Cannot open Mutex 2" flashes after reboot.

So I can find no way to delete pcguard & pchash.sys files and therefore can't complete 3.050 installation.

Any suggestions to resolve this impasse?

Thanks.....

17. nick s

nick s Registered Member

Hi WCH,

You will have to boot into Safe Mode (tap the F8 key a few times before Windows loads) to remove those files. You probably uninstalled PG without disabling it first. Reboot normally and try the install again.

Nick

18. WCH

WCH Registered Member

Nick, thanks for the prompt teply. Deleting in Safe Mode did of course fix the problem.

Regards,

Wes

19. wanchan

wanchan Registered Member

pghash.dat is present only in PG3050?

Anyone could confirm pghash.dat is present only in PG3050?

I just upgraded to PG3050. Before that I uninstalled PG3000 under Windows XP Safe-Mode using the official uninstaller. Then I search for the following three entries but only found pguard.dat to delete.

Entries searched:
    - procguard.sys, in Windows\system32\drivers
    - procguard.dll and pguard.dat, in Windows\system32 directory

I wasn't aware that pghash.dat, in Windows\system32, needed to be deleted and thus did not search that. PG3050 is running fine for the past 2 days.

Questions:
    1. Anyone could kindly confirm if what I did with the uninstall of PG3000 was absolutely correct?
    2. If pghash.dat was present in PG3000, will not deleting it likely result in any undesired effect in PG3050 I am using?

I am getting a bit paranoid since PG is such a critical program to me.

20. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi wanchan, The two files other than procguard.sys that you need to delete if you uninstalled manually and want to do a fresh install are pghash & pguard.dat.
    If you uninstalled after disabling protection then Exiting the ProcessGuard GUI then pguard.dat phghash.dat will still be there after the uninstall.

To save your old settings:
    Normally pguard & pghash .dat will be overwritten by the 3.050 install unless you copied them to another folder then copied them back before doing the first reboot when doing the new install. Once installed & the first reboot are complete pghash & pguard are locked and cannot be changed when procguard.sys are running.

HTH Pilli

21. wanchan

Pilli,

Thanks for the followup.

I did the uninstall of PG3000 completely under Safe-Mode, so PG3 was completely unloaded/disabled.

Well, since I just did the upgrade yesterday in which I missed deleting pghash.dat, I will now uninstall everything and reinstall PG3050. The below is my complete upgrade procedures - again a bit paradoid.

1. Disable PG3, unchecking Protection Enabled
    2. Reboot into Windows XP Safe Mode
    3. Uninstall PG3050 using official uninstaller
    4. Delete the followings in C:\Windows\System32
    - pguard.dat
    - pghash.dat

5. Search and delete procguard.sys in C:\Windows\System32\drivers
    procguard.sys will most likely NOT present at this point, as the official uninstaller may well have it deleted already. Just to be abosolutely sure.

6. Delete C:\Program Files\ProcessGuard\logs

7. Now install PG3050
    8. Take time let PG3 to learn in Learning Mode on both offline and online
    9. Check logfiles to see if there are anything suspicious and problematic
    10. Turn off Learning Mode, complete the upgrade process.

Please confirm. Thanks a lot:)

Last edited: Nov 14, 2004
  22. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi wanchan, You do not need to do the uninstall in safe mode but it can do no harm if that makes you feel better.

6. is unnecessary unless you just do not need the old log.

After the first reboot and running all your programs don't forget to enable the four general tabs. ProcessGuard will than add the allows needed when you reboot.
    Run your programs againto ensure everything is working OK then do the final reboot. Learning mode should now be disabled.
    Watch for any alerts :)
    Enable Secure Message Handling on the programs you think may need it. Read the help file about this re. learning mode

Pilli

23. wanchan

Pilii,

I will remember this. I will do the rest as suggested. Off to the job. Thanks a lot!!!:D

24. wanchan

Just uninstalled and reinstalled PG 3050. Everything went as expected. Thank you very much for the kind and timely help. Appeciate it:)

25. Derek G

Derek G Registered Member

Migration of PGGUARD.DAT and PGHASH.DAT

Since the prominent advice to make sure these two files are removed before installing PG 3.050, I gather they are incompatible with earlier versions. When I installed PG 2.0, I literally spent days researching and planning which applications needed what settings. In fact, for the next six months, quite a number of important amendments were required to the permissions. Am I the only one who made this effort to ensure my settings were fully accurate? My question is, do I have any alternative to printing out lists of the PG 2.0 permissions/applications and applying them manually to PG 3.050? I hope not, but I fear the worst.

Derek G

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.