Upgrade to 1.2

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by MichaelE, Jan 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MichaelE

MichaelE Registered Member

Need help!!
    I have managed to loose the "unins00.dat" and cannot do the uninstall of the old 1.15 version.
    I have tried to follow instruction given here..
    The "procguard.sys", "pguard.dat" and "procguard.dll" are all in the folders mentiond in the instructions.

The old man has goooft it again o_O :D
    Michael

2. Jason_DiamondCS

Jason_DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Read the "manual uninstall method" in the helpfile to get rid of Process Guard from Safe Mode.

You will need to do one extra step, that is to terminate PG_MSGPROT.exe then delete PG_MSGPROT.exe .

-Jason-

3. MichaelE

Jason
    I have tried the method to uninsall while in "Safe mode"
    I get message: "D:\Program Files\ProcessGuard\unins000.dat" does not excist. Cannot uninstall.
    When I try to look in the helpfile i get an message that the "procguard.chm" cannot be found.

I think I have tried to uninstall the wrong way once and messed everything up for me..
    Is there a way to get me out of this mess?? o_O

Michael

4. MichaelE

Jason
    or somebody else in the Wilders team out there.

I need some support to get me out of my mess posted earlier here.
    I cannot uninstall the older version of PG.
    I am soory for not being more skilled to do this on me own!! :oops:

Any support in this matter will mean a lot to me.

Michael

5. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

MichaelE,

Ensure no other utilities are running and that you have full Administrative rights.

In Task Manager kill pg_msprot.exe if it is running

Using Regedit - Do a search for "procguard" without the speech marks. What you are looking for is a folder "Run" called procGuard_ Start if it is there delete it.
    The key is
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run - ProcGuard_Startup"="\"C:\\Program Files\\ProcessGuard\\procguard.exe\" -minimize

Do NOT delete any other Procguard keys unless you wish to totally re-install PG after running the uninstall programme.

If you feel comfortable with regedit, Disable protection, uninstall PG, delete all pg's files except your pg keyfile. Open regedit search for procguard and delete every key you can. Reboot - & then try re-installing.

After re-installing Procguard.exe should have placed a shortcut in your Start up folder Start - All programmes - Startup & pg_msprot should be running - Check in Task Manager.

6. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

In a case like this - couldn't someone just email him the missing files and have him put them in the right place?
    (unins000.dat & procguard.chm).

Or, conversely - couldn't he just re-install the older version to regain the whole thing, and then un-install properly? Pete

7. gkweb

gkweb Expert Firewall Tester

i don't think softwares which aren't free are allowed to be sent by mail.
    I have encoutered the case one time, and the rule is do no send software sold and not free, if the user has a licence, he can go to the website on the member area and download the install executable again :)

8. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Pete, The uninstaller may not delete the Reg start up key which would cause problems for the new install.

9. MichaelE

Jason, Pilli,Spy1, gkweb.
    Thank you all for your support in this matter.
    What have I now done??

After some tries I managed to tirminate the pg_msprot.exe.
    run the Regedit and tried to clean out anything that had anything about procguard.
    All went fine but the "Legacy_Procguard" matter could not be deleted.

I then deleted all traces in Programs. Saved my procguard.pkf to a floppy in case of need??

Closed down everything and then run the setup for PG 1.2

Installation run super. Have added some of my program - exe files and all seems to be fine.

So, without you guys out there listening to the old mans cry for support I would still be stuck here with my problems.

Once again, and this cannot be said enough often. You all are super and it is so good to have the opportunity for help from the Wilders team.. How can i ever return the help I get o_O o_O

Michael, happy again :D :D

10. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

MichaelE, Well done :D After all that work you deserve a nice tasty Karma cookie.

Cheers! Pilli

11. MichaelE

Thank you so much for the reward.

But, sorry have another question o_O

I cannot always get the PG icon down to the active icons field down at the right.
    But when I start manually via desctop icon PG states "Process guard protection is Active"
    Does this mean that PG is doing it´s job even if I do not have the icon viable?? In TM I can see process is running.

Oh dear will the man never stop asking silly q´s :rolleyes:

Michael

12. siliconman01

siliconman01 Registered Member

This sounds like the ole Windows XP missing icon problem to me. I have run in to it many times and have found only two solutions to it.

MichealE, when you view the list of running programs using your Task Manager, do you see PG_MSGProt.exe and procguard.exe in the list of processes? If so, then yes, Process Guard is running even though it's icon is not showing up. Using Task Manager, you can highlight procguard.exe, then select End Process. This will terminate Process Guard. Then you can manually restart Process Guard and the icon should show up.

What I have found works to "resolve" this issue on reboot. It's not just a Process Guard problem- it occurs with other program icons as well.

1. Use Startup Delayer to "stage" programs to startup on time delays during a reboot. This works very reliably for me and 99.9% of the time will result in all icons showing up in the systray.

2. After the reboot is complete, log off and then log back on will almost always show all the systray icons. This generally works without having Startup Delayer.

13. MichaelE

Siliconman01, thank you for your support in this.

1. Yes I can se both Procguard and PG_MSGProt.exe running in TM
    2. I already use Startup Delayer. But maybe I must give PG some more time before next program to start.

Is it wise to let PG be first on the list in Start up ??

Thank you again for all clarification to my questions.
    Michael :)

14. siliconman01

siliconman01 Registered Member

Michael,

Whereas as Process Guard is strictly a user GUI and does not affect whether you are protected or not, you can delay starting Process Guard as long as you need. The main protection gets loaded promptly on startup irrespective of the display/user program Process Guard.

Note: If you have Startup Delayer entered in Process Guard's list of programs to protect, be sure to ALLOW Global Hooks on Startup Delayer. Otherwise Startup Delayer's GUI will hang if you select the help feature.

Hopely Windows XP Service Pack 2 which is suppose to come out mid year will correct this missing icon stupidity.

15. MichaelE

Siliconman01

Thank´s, I think I understand.
    Will leave this matter now and hopefully everything will be fine in my box down there under my desk. :D
    Michael

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.