Upgrade question...

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by emperordarius, Aug 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emperordarius

emperordarius Registered Member

I'm planning to buy a new laptop soon. I can't understand something.
    I'm getting a customized HP laptop, and, in the OS selection options, it says:
    I want Vista business, but what does Upgrade mean? That the Laptop will have a Home premium Vista pre-installed and I will have the possibility to upgrade to Business, or that Business will be pre-installed.o_O

I've seen this also on other laptop website but couldnt't quite understand it. Thanks in advance

2. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

You will probably get home premium 32 bit as this is the commonest.You can upgrade by clicking contol panel>windows anytime upgrade which takes you to this site and allows you to compare ,upgrade etc.The ultimate edition includes the buisness edition and more..
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-vista/compare-editions/default.aspx

ellison

3. emperordarius

Thank you. But I don't want Ultimate, I don't need most of Ultimate's features, and I don't want it 64 bit(there's not 32 bit available).
    Another question. Is Upgrading to Business easy and fast? I mean, no reinstalling of everything?

4. ellison64

I could be wrong but i think theres a 32 bit and 64bit available in ultimate edition.Anyhow im not sure how painless it is to upgrade ,as ive never done it.However it "looks" as if there wouldnt be any problems providing the pc you are buying has the system requirements such as the recommended ram ,etc.
    ellison

5. emperordarius

Yes but still I don't need dvd maker, media center and backup and the other "extras".

This pc will have the requirements for sure, in fact I'm buying a powerful one.
    Thank you for you help.

Edit:I googled some more and it looks like it has a Business upgrade DVD...

6. ellison64

7. emperordarius

The hp page doesn't load now, fortunately I saved a screenshot.
    When I pressed "Help me decide" it said that if I decided the option that OS would be preinstalled. But if it is so why is it called "Upgrade"?

2.JPG

8. ellison64

It seems that if you are just buying the OS you can choose which vista you want pre installed,so i guess if you choose the business for $100 then you would receive your pc with that already on.From what ive read though ,if you choose either basic or premim ,you wont be able to upgrade to business...only ultimate.
    ellison

9. emperordarius

So they call it "upgrade" because they consider Business and Ultimate "Superior"?:D

10. Mister_Al

Mister_Al Registered Member

Vista Home Premium with Service Pack 1 is 'included' in the purchase price which should mean that it comes as the usual OS for your computer. But, if you want Vista Business with Service Pack 1 you can have it instead for an additional $100 since it is considered an 'upgrade' from the Vista Home Premium that would come standard on your computer.

I have Vista Ultimate and it does come in 32 bit and 64 bit disks

Alan

Last edited: Sep 2, 2008
  11. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I don't know about business, but ultimate is superior in certain areas. I'd say the upgrade simply means you'll get business instead of home premium. Unless you specifically need the added benefits of business you may as well save some $ and just get home premium.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.