Upgrade from PG Free to PG Paid

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by Old Monk, May 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Old Monk

Old Monk Registered Member

Hello good Wilders folks

Have now been running PG free for a few weeks and apart from the odd question and hiccup things seem to have gone well and although very much a novice i now feel confident enough to go to the paid version. It certainly gives a novice a far greater understanding of what goes on in the 'engine'.

Question is I can't find a thread for this particular aspect. Do I uninstall free and start again with paid in learning mode or does the download of paid recognise my settings in the free version and just add the extra features.

Hope someone can help.

Cheers

Jon

2. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

Hi

I have just done this. Very simple. Just go to the site and pay for the app. If it goes through you will be sent an email with a logon address. There you will login to the members area. Select the app and you can get the authentication code. Copy and paste into PG and that should be it.

When you set PG up don't make my mistake of enabling SMH for any app unless you know more than me.

Hope this helps.

3. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi djg05,

Agreed. SMH is tricky and what's more, in upgrading releases, all SMH is lost. Not very nice. As of now, I don't bother unless better upgrade features are introduced, and even then I am not sure. I think others see it as far more beneficial but I have chosen to put it on the back burner.

Rich

4. Old Monk

Sorry guys can I just get this clear...........

Do I have to start all over again in Learning Mode ? I ask because for example whenever I download the latest ZA Security Suite upgrade I have to start over with all program permissions etc.

Also what is SMH or I have I missed something ?

Jon

5. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi Old Monk,

You definitely shouldn't have to start all over again.

When I upgrade, I usually either turn PG off or temporarily put it in learning mode (which all restrictions turned off) so the upgrade goes through cleanly. Everything you have previously done is preserved.

The problem arose between releases of the old and new PG where settings were not preserved through the upgrade, unless you wanted to go through a manual upgrade.

SMH is protects your application "windows" from being shut down my malicous programs via certain techniques, e.g. emulating the X button on a window or emulating "End Application" on the drop down box. Others may give you a more comprehensive answer.

Rich

6. Old Monk

That's what I was hoping to hear........

As with other posts - thanks once again Rich.

Cheers

Jon

7. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi Jon,

Glad to be of some help. Have a great evening!

Regards,
    Rich

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.