upgrade from 8 to 9?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by SeanFL, May 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SeanFL

SeanFL Registered Member

I'm a user of acronis 8 and hesitated upgrading to 9 when it first came out...there were plenty of issues with the initial release.

To others that have upgraded, is it now fairly smooth and as stable as the most recent v8? Enough benefits to make it worth it?

Also, what's the benefit of the workstation version? I see what looks like a full version of home at newegg for $29. If the workstation version made sense, is that available anywhere else for less money also?

Thank you...Sean

Last edited: May 16, 2006
  2. VolkerNadolski

VolkerNadolski Registered Member

Hi,

I think the builds 2337 and the latest build 3567 (mostly) can be called stable. The difference is that build 2337 is "old" technology based on TrueImage 8 and the newer 3567 build is based on the same engine the corporate products use. With this new technology you can not only mount images, but modify them. You also get 64Bit support and a bartPE plugin.

To the question: Are the benefits worth the price...?
    If you only backup complete partitions AND your machine is running smoothly with TI 8 -> never change the running system
    If you like to back up files and folders, don't use bartpe and don't have a 64Bit-OS -> upgrade to TI9 build 2337
    otherwise -> upgrade to TI9 latest build

the reason for build 2337 is that it seems to be a little more stable... at least than build 3567.

The Workstation-Version is for corporate environment with remote management. It has no benefits for private usage.

Greetings

Volker

3. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi Volker,

The Universal Restore feature available for True Image 9.1 Workstation could be very useful for private users ;).

Regards

4. SeanFL

SeanFL Registered Member

thank you for the help...bought it and so far so good. One question:

I've set it up to image the c drive automatically at shutdown (once per day) and it's doing that. Is my system really generating enough changes to gather 150+ meg of incremental files each day? That seems big to me... (my email is kept on another drive, so that's not the cause. What else is causing that much change?)

Also...

My strategy is to let it run each day (title it 'recent backup'), and every week or two do a full backup, then delete the 'recent backup' and incremental files so it doesn't build up. Is that a decent strategy to keep me out of the mud? It's backing up to a separate hard drive and I can copy it to an external unit from time to time for further safety.

So...size of incremental backups and my strategy. On track?

thanks! Sean

5. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

Hard drive fail or can become corrupt or have problems for a host of reasons.

You would be much safer if you copied some of your backup files to cd or DVD and additional retentiion. File size can be controlled in your backups so the file can fit onto the CD or DVD media.

It might be worthwhile to occasionally create a full backup from the bootable CD. This takes "files in use" out of the picture and adds another measure of safety.

Restoring a backup can fail for lots of reasons. Rather than destroy your old backups, I would try to retain as many as possible on some kind of staggered basis. This would give you multiple shots at your data if something went truly wrong.

6. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello Sean,

TI backs up the in-use sectors of your hard drive. When you create an Incremental image it will back up those in-use sectors that have changed since the Full or the last Incremental backup.

The in-use sectors will change merely as a result of starting/shutting down Windows and your applications, as well as defragging the HD and a number of other things. Depending on the amount of daily disk activity, 150 MB may well be reasonable for an incremental.

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.