Upgrade from 3.0 to 4.0 or Wait? Let us Know!

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by MarcR, Mar 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MarcR

MarcR Registered Member

Should I continue using NOD32 3.0.684 or upgrade to 4.0.314 now?

An honest opinion from those who upgraded would be appreciated.

After reading the forum, I'm inclined to wait several months until the bugs are resolved.

What 4.0 improvements make it worth upgrading now? Are the bugs annoying enough to wait?

What advice do you have for us 3.0 users?

Thanks.

P.S.: Does 4.0 add the ability to click "Add to Exclusion List" When a warning pops up - or do you still have to manually enter it in the exclusions list?

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

It's up to you. The thing is millions of people have installed v4 and some of them have experienced certain issues after the upgrade. It's quite normal that people start reporting problems to forums after the release of any piece of software and just a very few people will post a positive feedback. Anyways, the issues are being investigated and worked on so the next build that is going to be available shortly will address all these known issues.

3. bradtech

bradtech Guest

1. Added Protection for thumb drive worms was a big thing for myself.

2. Being notified of unpatched machines is a plus to add to the layer of WSUS to ensure it is working correctly.

3. Sysinspector snapshots from ERA console

4. Rescue media

some things that come to my mind.. I've had no issues yet with this version like others have reported.. I like having the added layers of protection, and being notified if WSUS is not working properly on machines. My advice is to test it in your environment.. Baby steps... I beta tested 4.0 on some servers, and desktops.. No issues.. Final version.. No issues.. File Servers, Domain Controllers, etc.. I am using 2008 Server, 2003 Server, and 2000 Server.. Windows Vista, and XP..

4. GAN

GAN Registered Member

You have to remember that very few people post just to let everyone know it's working fine. So when you visit a support forum you have to expect that most of the posts is realated to problems. I don't know how many people that use nod32 and how many of them that is posting on this board, but i'm pretty sure very few actually use this board at all.

It's easy to export the config/settings and install 4.0. If it doesn't work the way you expect it's fast and easy to revert back to 3.0.

5. Togg

Togg Registered Member

Installed 'over the top' of V 3 yesterday and no problems so far (although I had an impression of a slight slowdown which my son doesn't notice).

I'm using an XP Home SP2 computer, no networking.

6. bodean

bodean Registered Member

Wait. A LOT of bugs / issues with v4, sadly.

7. PaulB2005

PaulB2005 Registered Member

None here.

GANs post is a more level headed response.

8. bodean

bodean Registered Member

Level headed, eh? Simple question from the OT, and I gave a simple answer. Wait. Why install software that isn't working correctly?
    NOD 32 is going to have MAJOR HEADACHES when SP2 for vista comes out, as right now it doesn't even work with the RTM version.

9. xan K

xan K Registered Member

v4 is working perfectly here on Windows 7 x86 build 7057. Actually I like it more than v3.

10. Phantoms

Phantoms Registered Member

Marcos, will new builds of 4 install automatically or do we need to download and install them manually? If the later, is uninstalling previous builds recommended?

11. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

New builds can be installed over old ones, and they will be installed automatically via the updater if ESET deems it to be worthy of so, i.e. long extensive testing so that they don't go breaking all the computers.

12. GAN

GAN Registered Member

When someone post asking for advice to upgrade or not it's obvious that the person would like to upgrade, but is a bit worried. Since a lot of people have none or few problems i would suggest to try and if not working it's easy to revert back. By RTM version i assume you mean Vista with SP1 and by "not working" that is more correctly "not working for you". You obviously have serious issues with nod32 v4 while other like myself have none or few issues which is not a serious problem. The only confirmed issue i have with nod32 is the SSL scanning, but i disabled that part until fixed...the rest seems good so far.

Regarding SP2 i don't think that's relevant at all since it's not released and i'm sure Eset will support SP2 when released. When you say that nod32 will have some major headaches when SP2 is released then you actually have no idea what you are talking about. It's not working right now, but unless you have some inside information from Eset you have no idea what kind of work Eset are doing to support SP2 and how close they are.

So when you ask "Why install software that isn't working correctly?" it's actually "Why install software that isn't working correctly for you?" and the answer is because it's working fine for a lot of other nod32 users.

All software have bugs and for those that always install the latest version as soon as released or even while beta/rc then you also have to accept bugs. If that is not acceptable then wait and don't be the first one to install new versions. All system are different so what is not working at all for you might work perfectly for someone else. If you read other support forums for antivirus software you will find out that Eset isn't any worse then the rest with regards to bugs/issues.

13. PaulB2005

PaulB2005 Registered Member

Yes, Level headed. As in, it was a sensible answer and not some knee jerk angry reaction born of your experience which is not common to the majority of users.

In my experience NOD32 4 works fine for XP SP3, Vista SP1 and Windows 7 Beta. Not just on my PCs but those of my clients.

Just because YOU have a problem doesn't mean EVERYBODY does or will.... I'm not saying the OP won't have any problems, but the sensible and level headed answer is to try it and see. If there are issues then revert to the previous version. What wrong with that??

With your attitude you might as well un-install every piece of software you have, including Windows, because I'm sure someone, somewhere has a problem with them and by your rationale no-one should be using them....

14. Kingy

Kingy Registered Member

NOD32 v4 installed this morning and running fine so far on Windows Vista 32bit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.