UpdatusUser folder?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by AlexC, Jun 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

Some googling will inform that this folder located in the directory "C:\Users\UpdatusUser" is related to Nvidia updates.

But what i don't find is a explanation why is needed and how it works.
    Never heard of any updater that needs to create a account folder in order to work.

Does anyone can bring some insight about this?

2. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

Its fine, it is the folder nVIDIA Drivers use to update your drivers.

I never choose to install the Update components during the driver installation as I want to choose when I want to update. For example, for me, the 296.10 drivers are much better than the latest 3.xx drivers because those drivers cause Solitaire and Hearts (Windows Built in Games) to crash as soon as I start them up so I find that 296.10 are the best for performance and stability.

Next time you install nVIDIA Drivers, make sure you don't select the Update components (usually it's the second option when you choose CUSTOM setup)

BTW, even though I didn't install the Update service for the drivers, that folder/User was still created.

Just leave it alone, it's harmless

3. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

That´s what a google search will tell. But i can't find a explanation why is needed and how it works. Why does the updater needs to create an account in your system? That doesn't makes sense to me and i never saw anything similar.

4. Rules

Rules Registered Member

Info here :

httx://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3067/~/what-is-nvidia-%E2%80%99updatususer%E2%80%99%3F

httx://www.nvidia.com/object/nvidia-update.html

rules.

5. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Something that can vary greatly by machine. For me the current 301.42 is the best driver I have ever used. Older drivers give m BSODs on nvlddmkm.sys. Unfortunately finding the right driver for your machine can be quite a task. But the "UpdatusUser" thing is not an issue that I consider to be an issue. There are likely other things hiding on our PCs that we should be more worried about then nVidia driver updates. :ninja:

6. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3067/~/what-is-nvidia-’updatususer’?

How can one be sure that this account cannot be accessed remotely?

backdoor? *cough*

7. Rules

Rules Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.