updating TDS3

Discussion in 'Trojan Defence Suite' started by mhtaylor, May 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mhtaylor

mhtaylor Registered Member

I cannot update the database for TDS3. Neither method works, manual or automatic.
    I am a registered user. I have downloaded update.cfg, radius.td3 the lot. all to no avail.
    Sometimes the popup window appears momentarily, sometimes not at all. Sometimes the "downloaded file was corrupt, trying another server" message appears. Sometimes it says radius is corrupt & reverts to a file from storage or some such thing.
    I have tried downloading afresh another tds3.exe file but this hasn't helped either.
    I was on 53084 references & could get no more up to date than that.
    Then I was using XP HOME but now I'm on XP PRO after a new install. The problem is worse now - my reference count remains at the initial figure one gets after the first use, about 25490 I think.
    I've hadl emails from diamondsupport, but no help so far.
    My connection is broadband ADSL.
    I read something by Jooskie about different mirrors - whats that mean? Could my keyfile be the trouble, the one I got when I first purchased about a year ago?
    Hoping for some help!
    With kind regards,
    Malcolm

2. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Malcolm,

Welcome to Wilders!

From the counts you mention, this installation has not been updated for some time, I've included a screenshot of my install below for reference. It is current.

If there is a problem with you keyfile, I assume that it should appear as an unregistered version. If you go to the main menu bar and select Help>About TDS-3, a dialog box should appear and note "Registered to" with your name below it. Does this look OK? If so, your key file should be fine.

If not, does the keyfile that you use have the proper name? It should be tds3.kf and located in C:\Program Files\TDS3. As I recall, at least some of my licenses were supplied as zip files.

When you say manual update, do you mean a completely manual process (direct download of the radius.td3 file from here with a save to C:\Program Files\TDS3) or a manually initiated download from the main TDS3 menubar (TDS>Update TDS Databases Now!). If it is the latter, try the first method. Also, if it is the latter approach which isn't working, but the former does, and if the keyfile looks good, do you have a firewall active that could be blocking the updating function and not notifying you of the block?

If it is not a firewall issue, I'd probably perform the usual Windows reinstall dance just to validate that installation. Just make sure sure keep a copy of the keyfile in a safe secondary location. It shouldn't get blown away in a quick uninstall/reinstall, but don't chance it.

Blue

Attached Files:

• tds3.png
      tds3.png
      File size:
      46.7 KB
      Views:
  3. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hi there!
    you could check the required system files for their version, as there could be overwritten some by other installs. XP should warn and ask permission when something like that is intending to happen, but if it always does...?
    When you (un)installed TDS did you first uninstall the exec protection, close TDS, close every scanner / resident protection, uninstall TDS (after first saving away your keyfile, possible personal files, scripts)
    uninstall TDS, reboot,
    still all protection down
    install a fresh TDS download,
    drop the keyfile in the TDS directory (check if the file was modified)
    reboot,
    start TDS,
    install exec protection
    now try again the update.

Did you recently remove any suspicious of positive identified malware?
    Could there be any other malware on your system?
    When you grab the radius.td3 update from the TDS site, you say you get the old value. Is this still so when you start in safe mode?
    If so, i would most certainly send the keyfile in to be checked for possible corruption (with your details name/email you used for registration).

What i meant the other time with mirror sites i mean in the update.cfg are several mirrors, the latest update.cfg file should have functional mirrors. It does happen occasionally a mirror did not upload properly and TDS will either go to a next server or place back the last bak version on your system.

Hope this helps.
    Keep us informed.

4. mhtaylor

Thaks a million, Blue!

It must have been ZoneAlarm playing up. Regn was OK & tds3 was in the proper directory &, yes, I had been direct downloading from the link you mentioned but no good. I'd also tried renewing the update.cfg, still no good. I had already tried once last week with both the firewall & antivirus disabled, but no good.

However, tonight I followed your tip precisely
    downloaded update of radius with ZA turned off
    ran the program again & BINGO, all was well!

ZA never used to cause probs, only over the last couple of months. Must be one of the ZoneAlarm updates that is interfering?? I'm running the current version, so I might experiment by downgrading ZA & see if it still conflicts with TDS3.

Thanks once again, Blue. You have been more help than two emails from DiamondSupport last week!
    Regards,
    Malcolm

5. BlueZannetti

My pleasure.

DCS is an excellent crew - I've used them myself on occasion. Their support experience will guide how they approach problems. Maybe I started a little further back since I don't do it everyday. DCS' e-mail support is top notch all the time, but we'll augment them here as needed. The key thing is getting the problem solved, regardless of details.

Cheers,

Blue

6. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi all,

With me, ProcessGuard is the culprit, or it could be the combination of PG and ZA Pro. In any case, I have to turn PG protection off in order to get TDS-3 updates to work.

Rich

7. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Wondering if you run Port Explorer too? Can you see what happens when you try to update TDS, if there is something blocked?

In latest ZAPro, did you change any settings?
    Maybe your Programs protection is very high? You could make sure the radius update is added and allowed trusted zone / internet access, you could add the DiamondCS site to your trusted zone.

It should never be necessary to close a firewall to be able to update the radius database.

Rich, is there no way for ProcessGuard to grant update.exe to run / internet access etc? It should have.

8. beethoven

beethoven Registered Member

Blue,

sorry if this is off topic but I noticed from your screen shot that you don't use Memory Scan and CRC32 Scan.
    When I set up my config I ticked all the boxes ( a bit paranoid :doubt: ) - are these two scans less important? o_O

9. mhtaylor

Point taken, Blue, re Diamond's email support - I s'pose I did sound critical.
    Also, thanks Jooske - I never saw your message when I replied to Blue.
    There was a wealth of info in your comments that I'll save for future requirements
    To roo,
    Malcolm

10. dog

dog Guest

Hi Rich, ;)

Do you mean in regards to actually updating (downloading the file) -or- with initializing the new radius - when the Mutex has changed? If it's number 2, the block new and changed application setting in PG would be the cause.

Steve

11. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi Steve,

I was referring to the database update. I need to turn disable PG functions on my machine to get it to complete. With PG protection enable, updates begin to download but never complete. With PG protection disabled, it completes normally. Since I update TDS-3 every once in a while nowadays, it has not been enough a bother for me to pursue the underlying problem. I just disable PG when I download. It must be something peculiar to my installation.

Yes, when I run TDS-3 scan, I give the new Mutex permission to run.

Rich

12. BlueZannetti

I generally run light :)

Blue

13. dog

dog Guest

That's strange :doubt:

Could you try to update TDS with PG enabled and see if anything shows up in the log / alerts. I can't think of how PG would be the cause of this, it could be either your AV or Firewall having some sort of issue with PG not having a PG allowance, but it would be recorded in your log.

Another thought : If you run Proxomitron ... could you set up TDS to update thru it?

14. mhtaylor

Thanks for your second message,Jooske.

* I had Radius update Allowed for Access & Server in ZA.
    * I have now added diamondcs.com to the trusted zone.
    * while the firewall is set at High, I have the Program Control feature at Medium or "learning mode".
    I now await the next update so as to test this arrangement. With a bit of luck I won't need to disable ZA while updating which, as you pointed out, shouldn't be necessary.
    I do have Port Explorer but only recently. Am still learning its use & will do the check you explained a little later.

Thanks again,
    Malcolm

15. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi Steve,

I am not sure what it might be. I am running with Secure Message Handling. I can try turning that off next time there is an update to see if there is a problem there. There is nothing in the logs about the abnormal termination of the update.

Rich

16. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

TDS and update.exe don't need server rights, TDS only in a few cases when you're testing something maybe. Never give any program unnecessary server rights. :ninja:

17. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi Malcolm,

Maybe I'm understanding the situation wrong (and I don't have ZA installed at the moment), so please forgive me in case I make a mistake.

You said you added diamondcs.com to the trusted zone.
    But the site is: diamondcs.com.au

But even then I don't understand it.
    Your issue was with updating the Radius-file.
    There are several servers from which you can update, listed in update.cfg
    Let's have a look at the one at the diamondcs.com.au site:
    that is : tds.diamondcs.com.au
    So it looks to me that if you would like to add that site for updating your Radius-file, it should be tds.diamondcs.com.au

I wonder whether others too have to add the update-servers to the trusted zone of ZA.

Sorry if I made some mistakes here !
    Cheers, Jan.

18. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

FanJ, i overlooked the www.diamondcs.com.au 's au -- thanks for that addition!
    I have that site and the wilders forum since many years in my trusted zone.

In ZAPro it is possible to give individual applications rights, like update.exe can be allowed to access the trusted zone and internet zone, you can allow or disallow it server rights as well, you can allow applications to use email etc etc etc. You can apply those settings permanently or keep it to ? so you will be prompted for granting access/updating or not.
    You can set it to authenticate the application components so you should be alerted for modifications, etc.
    Not sure how much of all that is available in the ZA free version.

Last edited: May 8, 2005
  19. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi dear Jooske,

My pleasure about that au ;)

Well, I have to leave those settings in ZA/ZAPro to you and the other ZA users :D
    Although I don't understand:
    1. why putting the Wilders-board in the trusted zone of ZA.
    2. why putting the diamondcs.com.au site in the trusted zone of ZA.
    We were talking about updating TDS, and in that respect I would have thought more about tds.diamondcs.com.au
    Well, as far as I know both diamondcs.com.au and tds.diamondcs.com.au have the same IP-number.
    BTW I myself have them both, together with the old dcsresearch-site, listed in my HOSTS-file:
    64.91.255.87 tds.diamondcs.com.au
    64.91.255.87 www.diamondcs.com.au
    64.91.255.87 www.dcsresearch.com

Anyhow, maybe I'm making some mistake here.
    As I said, I have to leave the ZA issues to you :)

Most warmest regards,
    Groetjes, Jan.

20. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

You can add the main sites in your browser to the trusted zone, but in ZA you can give them in the privacy settings individually some extra options / allowances.
    Same with the applications like TDS-3.exe, update.exe in the programs settings in ZA.
    In your google search bar you can add more allowances like popups. :)
    Etc. etc.
    ProcessGuard should be allow update.exe to run and the mutex changes and that should not cause problems either.
    Anyway, wherever and anywhere grant update.exe internet access.

Now in your HOSTS file add a line for
    127.0.0.1 www.fanjsdomain.com
    or something non-existing and you will see in your Port Explorer the different layers of connection in stead of everwhere "localhost". You can play with that and whois a bit on that URL and the localhost name and IP etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.