Updating Rescue Disc

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by VinBob, Jul 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VinBob

VinBob Registered Member

Hello,

Since ESET support were not very helpful in finding me a solution, I am posting in the hope that someone knows a little more about their products!

I created a rescue CD to run a scan on a suspect machine being my laptop. I created the CD on my Workstation machine and then ran the CD on my laptop. I was able to boot just fine from the CD but when I try and update the signature file, I get an error in that the system cannot connect to the network. I was told by ESET support that the network drivers for the laptop are missing. That being the case, is there any way that I would be able to install those drivers onto the machine or do I need to create the CD on the machine I intend to boot from? The reason I did not, is due the my laptop being suspect to a possible Virus, so I created on another machine.

Any help/pointers would be greatly appreciated...

Cheers,
    Vin.

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

What oper. system do you use? Is it 32 or 64-bit?

3. trencan

trencan Eset Staff

If you boot SysRescue CD on the same machine as was built on and it is 32bit OS, then you can use AutSearch button in SysRescue Wizard in building process to automatically find NIC driver in your OS and inject it to CD.

If it is another machine you are booting on, then you need to download NIC driver from web for that machine and point SysRescue Wizard to .inf file of that driver in building process. It will inject the driver to CD.

4. trencan

trencan Eset Staff

One more note, if you download driver package from web, it must be dedicated to Win Vista 32bit, since SysRescue uses 32bit WinPE based on Vista SP1.

5. The Real Shane

The Real Shane Registered Member

Doesn't work with my nForce NIC.

Whereas the exact same drivers do work from the superior BartPE.

And to add to the argument put forth in other threads I've just been reading while trying to find a solution to this issue (and the half dozen or so issues I've had with NOD32 this past year have all resulted in me figuring them out and telling Eset reps, rather than the other way round) - and to which the failure to address it is frankly appalling, viz the fact of Sysrescue only being available to those with a broadband connection: there are plenty of users who live in areas where broadband is still unavailable - it isn't like they're too tight to get it, or too contrary. And there are plenty of areas where a mobile signal is too weak to use a dongle.

6. Brambb

Brambb Registered Member

There is also a topic about how to update SysRescue signatures before using it. If you 'google' around you can find plenty of examples how to add drivers to the image, those worked fine for me testing a WinPE image to support VMWARE NIC driver.

Oh and about the size of WAIK, yes its quite big for the purpose ESET has to use it for to make it all boot-able but it offers more then that. I have read somewhere MS comes with a smaller package for purposes ESET uses it for, but I cant seem to find it any more atm.

7. trencan

trencan Eset Staff

Which scenario doesn't work for your NIC (NIC driver from your OS or from web)?

Fact that your driver works with BartPE fine, doesn't necessarily mean it will work in WinPE, since WinPE is Vista SP1 based while BartPE is WinXP based.

"AutSearch" functionality in SysRescue wizard tries to find NIC drivers installed in your running OS and inject them to WinPE, but still it can happen that WinPE has default driver for your NIC inside and it will have higher ranking that injected one (while booting, WinPE ranks all found drivers and chooses highest one), so injected one won't be used. I observed that for some NICs e.g. REALTEK 8168C, but default WinPE's driver is corrupted. So then you could be without network.

What should always work is to download NIC driver from manufacturer's web site dedicated to 32bit Vista OS. Then you can set SysRescue wizard to inject this driver into WinPE. And this is the only scenario which works if you are building bootable image on PC other than you will be booting it on or if you have 64-bit OS, since WinPE used in SysRescue is 32-bit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.