Updating LAN Mirror via Sneakernet

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by rsiemp, Feb 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rsiemp

rsiemp Registered Member

I am considering the purchase of NOD32 AV Business Edition for my network. I want to designate one of my LAN boxes as a "mirror" server and have all the other boxes go here for updates. I see that NOD32 supports this feature, BUT it seems that the LAN mirror machine has to be connected to the Internet in order to obtain the update files from ESET.

My LAN operates in a high security environment and is therefore not connected to the Internet at all.

I need to know if it is possible to download the updates from ESET using a standalone Internet machine, put the update files on a thumb drive or CD, and then WALK them over to the "LAN mirror" machine where the files would be manually copied to an update folder. At this point, the other LAN machines could go to the mirror and retrieve their updates.

I have asked this question of ESET tech support, but they cannot seem to understand that in my case, the LAN mirror machine cannot have ANY connection to the Internet.

I realize that it may be an unusual requirement, but perhaps someone here knows whether this is possible and can give me a definitive answer before I shell out the money.

Thanks.

2. BFG

BFG Registered Member

Hello,

Not real sure, but how would ESET know how many machines were actually being protected if this was a supported way of updating.

Also, there's been as many as 7 updates in a day. That would certainly keep you busy.

BFG

3. rsiemp

rsiemp Registered Member

As long as I purchase a license for each of my machines, why would ESET care how many machines are being protected? Or does the update process also serve as some sort of license enforcement mechanism?

As far as the frequency of updating goes, it is certainly a pain in the neck to do it manually, but as long as I only have to update one LAN mirror machine, it certainly beats running around to all the client boxes one at a time (although it would keep me in shape ;-).

Even if there were 7 new av defs in one day, I think updating the mirror once per week would be sufficient. Our network is not exposed to the Internet in real time, therefore there is a time lag of at least that long before our machines would be exposed to a brand new virus.

DKM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.