Updating has got me puzzled

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Milia, Aug 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Milia

Milia Registered Member

My OS: XP Pro.
    --------------
    On trying to update TI Home (build 2,302) which I've installed from my newly purchased CD, I've received the message *The installation was interrupted before TI could be installed. you need to restart the installer to try again.. etc.*. After removing the registry entries of my original installation with the help of Windows Installer Cleanup Utility, the update to build 3677 has installed successfully.

What I now find confusing is that in Program Files\Acronis\ I've ended up with the following folders:

1) *True Image* which contains
    bootmenu.exe, bootwiz.sys, f11.cfg, kernel.dat, MediaBuilder.exe, mouse.com, ramdisk.dat, spawn.exe, timeounter.dll, tishell.dll, TrueImage.exe (ver 9.0.2302), TrueImageMonitor.exe, TrueImageTerminal.exe.

2) *TrueImageHome* which contains
    spawn.exe, timounter.dll, TimounterMonitor.exe, tishell.dll, TrueImage.exe (ver 9.0.3677), TrueImageMonitor.exe.

I suppose folder 2) is the one to keep, but then it doesn't contain half the stuff that I see in folder 1). Or may-be both folders are supposed to co-exist in Program Files? I'm a complete newbie and I'd so appreciate a clue.

2. mark3

mark3 Registered Member

3. Milia

Milia Registered Member

I'm so delighted having some feedback. All I need TI for is to create an image of my system partition and it's so depressing not being sure whether TI is set up properly for the job.

You suggest I uninstall TI completely. I don't doubt the wisdom of this suggestion - but the procedure I'd have to follow sends shivers down my spine because I'm not a dreadfully competent computer user and have never tampered with the registry before.

Also by uninstalling and reinstalling, wouldn't I end up in exactly the same situation I'm in now? I installed Acronis from a purchased CD and seemingly this original installation refuses updating, which has led me to having to use Windows Installer Cleanup Utility to delete its reg entries. If I reinstalled Acronis from the CD again, etc.etc., wouldn't I still end up with those 2 folders I mentioned in my first post?

Wow, Acronis is just giving me the most dreadful headache :'(

4. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

Milia,
    Your purchased CD has your serial number with it. Visit the Acronis website and register your purchase. This will give you access to updates. There you can download the latest version of True Image.

Un-install any old versions.
    Reboot and delete any program folders of Acronis.
    install the latest version and you will need your serial number to complete the install.

Next, make the user created bootable rescue CD.
    You can make backups from within windows or the recovery CD.
    Likewise, should you need to restore you system drive, this should be done from the Recovery CD.

Next, make a full backup using the "disk" selection.
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=182030

5. Milia

Milia Registered Member

Tks so much - I'm relieved to hear I won't have to reinstall from my purchased CD which would have landed me into the same trouble I've been having.

Bear with me, I have this urgent question. I've got to the last step of the instructions for uninstalling. When I try to delete Program Files\Acronis folder I get the message: *Cannot delete timemounter.dll*. What can i do about this, pleee...ease??

6. Milia

Milia Registered Member

Please disregard my Timemounter.dll query. After rebooting I hadn't been able to delete the Acronis folder without this message re Timemounter.dll popping up. But on trying again after a cold boot, I've been able to get rid of the Acronis folder without complaint from Windows - at last. So far so good.

7. Milia

Milia Registered Member

My system:
    XP Pro on Dell Dimension 5000 -
    250GB Serial ATA hd partitioned into drives from C: to L:
    M: CD-Rom N: /RW drives
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Oh gawd, I can't go away yet, you know?
    I've installed the TI update and everything seemed honky dory at last - but I now notice that I've acquired a new drive on my h.d., i.e. *Local Disk (O)* which has a Dell folder in it - from what it contains I reckon it is the Dell diagnostics utility which resides on a hidden 55 mb partition at the start of the h.d., which I invoke through F12 on booting up. How come it shows up as a visible drive now?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.