Updating from mirror and ESET traveling laptop

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by shoffm, Jul 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shoffm

shoffm Registered Member

Is there a way to configure a laptop to update from the corporate mirror server when connected to the LAN and also update from ESET when traveling? Maybe I am brain dead but I have been unable to make this work. Is there a step by step tutorial somewhere? Thank you.

I currently have Eset Remote Administrator Console version 2.0.56 on the mirror server.

The clients are running Eset NOD32 Antivirus version 3.0.621.0

We have two laptops that travel and have had a spat of virus infections. I am afraid that these two laptops are traveling and the virus definitions are out of date and get infected. Then when connected to our network they infect everything else. The latest thing was this damn _qbot thing that was hard to get rid of. Eset didn't block it either. The virus was able to install itself everywhere only when it tried to connect to a server in China somewhere did NOD32 see it and disabled it. I had to clean 100 machines manually. This thing is nasty! It sets up a scheduled task to reinstall itself every five hours and it attaches itself to random programs that start when Windows starts. Anyway, thanks for your help in advance.

2. Mister Natural

Mister Natural Registered Member

The RAS install manual has instructions for doing this (dual configs). My main office only has a handfull of laptops so I just configure to them automatically select update source and enter the username/password. I still leave them configured to report to the server so I can view their status when in the office. This way they still update no matter where they are and report to the console when they are tied into the local network.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2009
  3. shoffm

shoffm Registered Member

Already thought of that to have the two laptops use eset but for some reason it fails. I will play with that option some more and see if I can find the info for dual configs.

4. BFG

BFG Registered Member

Hello shoffm,

Create two update profiles, one directed to the Mirror server and the second one to ESET’s update servers.

Create a new update task, or modify an existing update task through the Scheduler (Tools > Scheduler from the main program window of ESET Smart Security or ESET NOD32 Antivirus).

The configuration can be made directly on notebooks, or remotely using the ESET Configuration Editor. It can be applied either during installation, or anytime later as a Configuration task.

To create new profiles in ESET Configuration Editor, right-click on the branch “Update” and select “New profile” from the context menu.

The notebook will always first try to update from the Primary profile. Failing that it automatically rolls over to the secondary.

BFG

5. shoffm

shoffm Registered Member

I was able to create the other task "alternate update" and will test it. I think this is going to work. Thank you for the information.

6. tfred1909

tfred1909 Registered Member

I have configured with 2 profiles and edited the update task to include both profiles in the additional settings area. I then changed the port number on our primary profile with the understanding that this will then role to the secondary profile and grab update from internet and this did not work. I just recieved a could not connect to server error and it did not appear to even try the secondary profile. Thanks

7. Bakker

Bakker Registered Member

With the Dual Update profile you schedule an automatic secondary update (usualy the one that connects to the ESET servers instead of your companies RA server). I think this update can only be triggered as a scheduled task (so not by clicking the "update now" function.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.