Updating Bitdefender Free v8 manually? Is this correct?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by quadrophonic, Jan 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quadrophonic

quadrophonic Registered Member

The Bitfdefender site seems to operate using some sort of secret policy.
    Instructions are minimal and there's no forum (that I can find anyway). :(

I loaded the free program as a second scanner and didn't realize that if you close down the two Bitdefender services running on the console, updating cannot occur. I ended up with a getfile.dat and x_dtrace_log on my desktop. A Google search indicates that those are probably Bitdefender files that went astray.

What I'm trying to determine is where in the program itself can one find the current version number of the updates (does the "about" screen list latest definitions version and engine version like other AV programs)?

Even on their website, it's difficult to find. I found this link for manual updates, however there's no explanation with the zip or exe file.

http://www.bitdefender.com/site/Main/view/Free-Products-Updates.htm

I'm assuming that you extract it to this directory:

Program Files\Common Files\Softwin\BitDefender Scan Server\Plugins

How is this program in general? How long does the free version license last?
    I've read here that some people stated their versions expired and they had to clear all Softwin keys and strings from their registry to reload it.

2. Old Monk

Old Monk Registered Member

Hi Quadrophonic

I really like BD 8 as a back up scanner but it does seem now to be a 1 year licence unless as has been indicated, we contact support for an extension. I wouldn't close any BD services, just let it do it's thing to run smoothly.

3. quadrophonic

Yes, but if you have it installed along with another AV program like Antivir, won't there be conflicts? You'll also have four services running with unneeded ports open.

4. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

heres the instructions for the exe and here for the zip.

as for conflicts, the free bitdefender is just on-demand (it has no realtime whatsoever). it may install some services but i dont see how it could conflict.

5. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

I just put v8 on and old Pentium 2 it updates and runs fast and fine and I saw zip on it expiring!

Hope this helps.

IMHO On my main PC I use BD 10 which is cool...it takes a while to scan with all options on BUT, you can set up custom scans for daily, weekly etc.
    On the daily you can just scan executables, on the weekly do the whole thing ( at night!)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2007
  6. quadrophonic

I'm still looking for some documentation regarding the manually update of Bitdefender 8 and the answer to the question, "how do you tell what versions are loaded"?

As per my first post in this thread:
    1) where in the program itself can one find the current version number of the updates (does the "about" screen list latest definitions version and engine version like other AV programs)?

2) Where do you extract the update zip file?

I'm assuming that you extract it to this directory:

Program Files\Common Files\Softwin\BitDefender Scan Server\Plugins

Correct?

There's very little documentation regarding this on the Bitdefender site.

7. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

quadrophonic - see my post for teh instructions

8. EsoxLucius

EsoxLucius Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.