Updating BIOS (For the first time)

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by bopbop, Oct 17, 2016.

1. bopbop

bopbop Registered Member

I'm gonna update my BIOS to be able to create an HDD password and therefore to use "Class 0" encryption which samsung SSD's offer. I've read that built-in (Class 0) encryption doesn't affect performance and is good enough. (Please don't tell me to use other encryption methods as I know they exist, just answer if you can help with BIOS update)

My BIOS is old and it only allowed me to put "Administrator or User Passwords".
    I tried both but "Samsung Magician" still shows Class 0 is not activated.
    I think the HDD password is something different than those master passwords. Therefore I couldn't activate Class 0 encryption mode.
    Since my BIOS doesn't allow putting password on HDD's I wanna update it and see if I get that option in newer versions.

Now help a n00b who's afraid of blue screens.

My BIOS is "American Megatrends Inc. 2011 ver. 2.10.1206 "
    My motherboard is manufactured by Pegatron, model: IPXSB-H61 (Socket 1155)
    This motherboard doesn't exist on the internet. It has no websites. No support. No downloads.
    I guess it was only manufactured for a pre-built PC company for a short period time.

So I downloaded American Megatrends tool here:
    https://ami.com/products/bios-uefi-tools-and-utilities/bios-uefi-utilities/

I've read AMI Firmware Update (AFU)'s manual but man... oh man... I understand nothing.

1. Since there's no website and no support for my Mobo, is it ok to update my BIOS with the tools American Megatrends provide?
    2. How do I use their tool to backup my current BIOS and then update it?

2. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

I wouldn't recommend updating the BIOS except with the latest firmware from the computer maker's website.

If you don't know how to do it - DON'T! You can easily brick your computer.

Get advice from the computer maker's support techs on what BIOS upgrade is compatible with your BIOS and if you don't feel comfortable doing it, leave that up to a computer repair shop.

Usually, there's no compelling reason to upgrade the BIOS if your computer is running without issues.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.