Updating AVK

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by eb_tide, Sep 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eb_tide

eb_tide Guest

We have recently installed Extendia AVK on our system. We connect to the internet through Proxomitron. When I try to update with this setup I get an error message something to the effect that the setup files are invalid. When I change the setup such that I connect directly to the inetrnet (not through Proxomitron), it updates fine. Is there any way I can update through Proxomitron or even have AVK bypass Proxomitron?

2. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

You should be able to update using proxo. I believe there may be a setting in the updating area in AVK that allows you to specify connecting using a proxy (going on memory here), if so, that option needs to be selected and port 8080 specified--if you are using the default install of proxomitron.

That would be the first thing I'd check.

HTH

3. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

I don't believe any external program should be configured to use Proxomitron unless specifically done so. Your browser (IE, any Gecko based browser, or Opera) all have to be done manually. You could check your global settings via the Control Panel, under internet options. I am not certain that the global setting found in the Control Panel are different thsn those of IE but it is worth a shot.
    Also bypassing AVK update becomes specific to the filter set you are using. If you are using JD's filter set than the easiest way to add the update URL (which is how you recieve updates) would be to add it to the bypass.txt which can be found in "JD list" which is in the list directory wher eyou installed the program.

All else fails just hit the bypass but on the bottom of proxomitron's main screen while you are updating.

I am still curious though how an outside program was configured to run via proxo

4. eb_tide

eb_tide Guest

Thanks, JimIT and n8chavez.

I tried that, thanks. I'll check again to make sure the firewall isn't preventing it from connecting to localhost.

I believe they are. That's what I find frustrating. IE is the only program I would want to have connect through Proxomitron. I can't do this without changing the global settings, I believe. If I am wrong and there is a way for ONLY IE to connect through proxomitron without affecting the global settings, I truly would love to know.

Good idea! I'll try that if the the answer to the above is "no".

Another good idea!

I always thought some programs do so if the global settings are set to connect to localhost.

5. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

Some do. PC-cillin and AVK are two of them. Haven't had any problems here, and running JD's filter set.

:doubt:

6. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

To everyone from Firefighter!

I have just now installed eXtendia AVK Pro too and my updates are going well!

The only problem is that I couldn't change that update server URL so, that the KAV module in eXtendia AVK Pro is able to detect according to so called extended database?

http://www.kaspersky.com/support.html?chapter=985029

http://www.kaspersky.com/support.html?chapter=985031

http://www.kaspersky.com/support.html?chapter=985030

http://www.kaspersky.com/support.html?chapter=985035

I mean, that with original KAV, you need to add "_ext" (or "_x", if using paranoid settings) ) to the end of each URL, but now I can't find any update URL:s!

"The truth is out there, but it hurts!"

Best Regards,
    Firefighter!

7. wizard

wizard Registered Member

You have realized that you did not bought Kaspersky Anti Virus? ;) AVK comes with a sort of 'protection' that does not allow to use the original KAV signatures. If you want to use the benefits of Kaspersky's extended detection (which I personally would not recommand to use at all) you have to buy KAV.

wizard

8. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

To Wizard from Firefighter!

Thanks about your advice!

Does it make any harm with KAV users by using for excample paranoid database, "_x", in the Kaspersky 4.5 av-program?

By the way, when I am using download manager, Stardownload 1.42, integrated to my browsers, Opera 7.20 and Explorer 6, I can't find any program file integrated to that download manager, from eXtendia AVK Pro, that is capable to scan those files after downloads were finished!

I mean that, is there any command line scanner or not in eXtendia AVK Pro? I mean that kind of scanner what scans automatically when my download manager finishes that download?

Best Regards,
    Firefighter!

9. wizard

wizard Registered Member

It depends how experienced you are. With the _x signatures you increase the possibility of false positives and also there are several files detected that are no real 'malware' but might be unwanted in some enviorments (companies, schools, etc.). For an experienced user this issue but beginners would defenitly become problems with this "extra signatures". That's also why there are not standard!

Not that I could remember. But IMHO it doesn't matter much because the on-access scanner will anyhow scan the downloaded file after it is finished.

wizard

10. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

eb_tide:

I believe you may have set your proxy configuration under modem connection in the control panel. In that case you would end up with the global configuration you were talking about and that you did not want. You need to change that, then, add the same configuration(s) under IE. Let me know if you are having any further troubles.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.