Updating Adobe Flash Player?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by sooflymami, Apr 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Firebytes

Firebytes Registered Member

My experience with updating Java is that even since they made the change to where it is supposed to remove older versions when the new one is installed is that it still misses removing things from the old version. For instance after installing a new Java version and rebooting I could go into Tools>Add-ons>Plugins in Firefox and still find the old version's plugin listed along with the new one. I tried letting Java update itself after they made the change but went back to my old way of always removing old java versions before installing the new ones.

2. Firebytes

Just an FYI:

I checked and Secunia OSI also shows only one Flash Player version installed on my system.

3. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

:thumb:

As far as Java, I've heard of a tool called JavaRa that is supposed to clean up after Java. I've not used it but it's mentioned frequently at dslreports. Download here: http://majorgeeks.com/download5967.html

More info: http://raproducts.org/javara.html

I can verify Java having 2 different versions in Firefox. Specifically Java(TM) Platform SE 6 U13 and U10. I'm not sure if it's a Firefox or Java issue. It looks easy enough to disable. The download version of Secunia doesn't show a problem.

4. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

FYI. Once the Flash Player is updated in each browser, they should show in your Add or Remove Programs. In my case, for IE it states: Adobe Flash Player 10 ActiveX and for Firefox: Adobe Flash Player 10 Plugin.

@innerpeace,
    Lately, Java is doing a better job of removing old versions, although I still use JavaRa, a very simple tool, just in case.
    Do disable that U10 Plugin in your Firefox.

5. innerpeace

Thanks JRViejo for the information and your tips.

6. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

innerpeace, you're welcome! Take care.

7. Firebytes

I only install Flash Player for Firefox.

JavaRa:thumb:

8. Fly

Fly Registered Member

I don't want to hijack the thread, but I have the latest version installed (Windows XP Home Edition IE 7) and have tightened the security settings (google 'flash security settings') at the macromedia website as much as seems possible, but on rare occasions I've found Flash cookies on my system.

So it would seem that there is some kind of security leak, or am I doing something wrong ?

9. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Fly, go back to the Settings Manager and make sure that the Global Storage Settings panel shows None for the amount of disk space allowed, also remove the check mark (if there) for Allow third-party Flash content to store data on your computer.

Then, go to the Website Storage Settings panel, and make sure that storage settings is now on None. See if that helps.

FYI. Each panel page explains what are the settings for each so spend some time reading those.

10. sooflymami

sooflymami Registered Member

Okay so it should say Adobe Flash Player Plugin for Firefox? So do I just uninstall where it says that and then go to the official FF site from my FF browser and it should work that way?

11. innerpeace

Do you have Adobe Flash Player entries in add/remove programs? One should be an ActiveX the other a Plugin. The Plugin is the one for Firefox and the ActiveX is for Internet Explorer.

12. Fly

Fly Registered Member

The one thing I hadn't done yet was (under Global Storage Settings) setting the amount of disk space to zero. I'll see if that makes a difference.

Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.