Updating Adobe Flash Player?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by sooflymami, Apr 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sooflymami

sooflymami Registered Member

Adobe Flash Player thing popped up on my screen when I turned on my computer, but it seems like that thing only pops up like few times a month or something after I click "Remind me Later". Is there another way for that thing to pop up again so I can update it?

I also heard from a friend that I need to uninstall the Adobe Flash Player first in order to install the new one if I get it from the official Adobe Flash Player site if I'm not going to update it by that pop up thing from Adobe. So I thought getting from it when Adobe Flash Player install now or remind me later thing would be better but how can I get that to pop up again since it doesn't pop up often?

2. Arup

Arup Guest

The player hasn't been updated in Windows for a while.

3. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

What I do is follow these instructions and run the Flash Uninstaller tool available here. Get the right one for your Operating System. http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=tn_14157

After that is done, go here and click the "Get Adobe Flash Player" link. http://www.adobe.com/ If you have more than one browser you may need to go there in each one. I can't remember if they want to install a toolbar or not but be sure to untick the option if you don't want it.

And then bookmark this thread so you'll always have it handy :).

Edit: This page should tell you your current version. http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=tn_15507

As of now, the current version is WIN 10,0,22,87

4. sooflymami

Is there any way that pop up saying Adobe Flash Player is available install now to pop up if I click somewhere? And what would happen if I goto Add/Remove programs and then uninstall that way and then go to adobe site for both ff and ie?

5. innerpeace

That would be fine also. Just be sure to go to adobe.com to get Flash.

I gave the link to the uninstaller because it's cleaner and may prevent problems. I forgot to mention that the uninstaller does change so a new version needs to be downloaded if you go that route.

Edit: Be sure to close down your browser/s before uninstalling Flash.

6. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I do the same as innerpeace and since i have so many partitions and drive systems i got tired of having to spend extra time at the adobe site so i just done a single update, went to my TIF folder and saved the adobe flashplayer installer to a pen drive so now whenever i switch systems it's a simple procedure to run it and it's done in about 2 seconds flat.

EASTER

7. sooflymami

Oh okay. But what would happen if I click install now button next time adobe flash player thing pops up on my screen? I have always clicked "Remind me later" all these months or years not sure and never clicked install button yet but would it be safe to download it that way even tho I've always clicked on "remind me later"? Like next time if i click install now instead or remind me later, would it still be safe?

8. innerpeace

To be honest with you, I've never gotten an update notification from Flash Player. I had to look at the settings manager to see that you can change the notification interval.

It should be safe if it really is Flash Player asking for the update. More info is available here.
    http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/help10.html

And if you want to change Flash Players settings, it can be done here.
    http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_manager.html

P.S. If you Flash Player is not up to date, I would update as soon as you get a chance. It's very important to keep it and java, browsers, etc. updated for security reasons.

9. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

What is the difference between doing it for each browser (Never heard of that) and just installing it to the PC as one download? Why do u have to install it for each browser, if u already downloaded it.

10. innerpeace

No expert, but the Adobe site detects your browser and gives you that specific version. Even if you go to the download page and click "Different operating system or browser?" and then select your OS it gives you 2 links/versions. The IE version is ActiveX whereas the Firefox version is a plugin.

If in doubt go to Secunia and do an online scan and it will tell you if your running any vulnerable Flash versions. Link is in Siggy.

11. PROROOTECT

PROROOTECT Registered Member

12. ruinebabine

ruinebabine Registered Member

I could be wrong but I think there is now only one Adobe Flash Player installer for all the main various browsers. I know it was different previously and we had to run 2 variations of their installer, one being for IE and another for Moz, Opera et al.

If you check there, you will see that, now, the only other available versions are for Mac and Linux O/S.

13. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

ruinebabine, there are 2 versions of Adobe Flash Player: FileHippo (IE and Non-IE).

And innerpeace is correct, not only do you need to install the Flash Player independently for IE and Non-IE browsers, there is also a Google toolbar install option in IE only.

14. ruinebabine

ruinebabine Registered Member

I stand corrected.
    Thanks for this acurate info JRViejo! :thumb:

15. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

ruinebabine, you are welcome! Take care.

16. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

Why are there 1 for each browser and not just one for all?

17. sooflymami

Why do we have to install Adobe Flash player for each of the browsers? So if I go to the official Adobe site and download it from there, do I need to download the other Adobe Flash Player for FF one in order to watch youtube for example? I'm kind of confused.

18. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

That and other Flash player settings are accomplished via the Adobe Flash Player Settings Manager.

The setting you are asking about is Global Notifications Settings panel

-Bubba

19. innerpeace

I answered that question when I wrote.
    Plus I would say the vast majority of internet users only have 1 browser so why would they include all versions.

It's really simple, just download the uninstaller, close your browser/s and run it a couple times. Then go to adobe in each browser one at a time and get Flash Player. Yes it is a pain in the butt but you'll be more secure keeping Flash Player updated.

20. Firebytes

Firebytes Registered Member

I usually just install a new version of flash player over the top of the old one. I have never noticed a problem in doing so.

21. innerpeace

That will work but from what I understand the old version is not uninstalled and can be a security risk. Do you have multiple versions in add/remove programs? If so they need uninstalled and may leave behind bits and pieces. That's why I use the uninstaller tool when it's time to update Flash.

22. Firebytes

Nope, only one version listed in Add/Remove programs.

23. Firebytes

Adobe's website seems to imply that it is usually fine to install over the top. They do mention using the uninstaller to remove the old version if you have trouble updating though.

Quote: A version of Adobe Flash Player is pre-installed with most popular Internet browsers. Sometimes, problems with a Flash Player that's already installed can prevent you from upgrading to the latest player. - quoted from here.

A quote from a user at another forum (I do not know if this is accurate or not, never checked this myself).

Quote: If you install over-top (at least for the Firefox/Opera version), then hit the 'Details' button on the installer, you'll notice that the installer uninstalls the old version before installing the new.

Anyway, I have sometimes used the uninstaller before updating too but I generally don't and as I said I have never noted more than one version installed or any other ill effects from doing so (unlike with Java for instance). It sure can't hurt anything to uninstall the old version first before installing the new one though.

24. innerpeace

Hmmm... Did they fix the not uninstalling issue or am I confusing it with Java? I'm pretty sure Java starting uninstalling/overwriting itself starting late last year. I'm not sure about Flash as I've been in the habit of using the tool.

Edit: I didn't see your post before I wrote this one.

25. innerpeace

Thanks for the info Firebytes. I think I got to the point where I kept seeing multiple versions with the Secunia Scanner so I started using the uninstaller. It might also keep things a bit cleaner as I normally keep Windows installed for a long time. Plus I'm getting older and set in my ways :D.

In the past I remember trying to search for info on manually removing old versions and it was a pain. That's probably the other reason I use the tool.

Either way, there should be more than enough info for folks to update Flash easily.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.