updateing 98 se system files

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Bethrezen, Feb 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bethrezen

Bethrezen Registered Member

hi all

curentley im running 98 se and i need a lil help

see i want to improve/speed up Win98 SE by "transplanting" the newer ME system files onto 98 SE thus creating a hybrid system without any of the notorious WinME annoyances

see i know its possable becaues i have replaced a few parts of 98 se like that already such as the scan disk and defrag with there me counterparts that funtion faster now doing just one or 2 bits like that is no problem i can just extract the file and replace the oridionals but doin large replacements with things like system files is a complex and risky process

now i found a sight http://www.mdgx.com/98-5.htm that tells me how to do such a thing but its not well layed out and looks quite complcated and im a lil weiry about messing round with this becaues i dont wanna mess up my system

and im wondering if any one knows of a tool that will scan my system and auto extract and update my system files from the cd as nessery ??

2. Mossback

Mossback Registered Member

Boy, that looks like some risky business to me. I can see doing some of it but I would be very careful.

3. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

You are taking a real chance of corrupting your 98 install

4. Valkyri001

Valkyri001 Registered Member

:eek:Ebay, 15bucks, xp pro.!! IMHO

5. Mossback

Mossback Registered Member

I have never seen XP Pro for 15 bucks, If I had I would not be running 98SE and WinMe. (For sure)

6. Valkyri001

Valkyri001 Registered Member

:)No kidding, my wife just got me one. It's legite according to the guys at M$. I haven't loaded it yet because I'm saving for new machine.
    She found it on Ebay at auction. Thats what she tells me anyway. :)
    :oops:Sorry!!! The 0 had food or something under it, She informes me it was 150 and she got it for 130. :oops:
    I'll take my whoopins now.
    Sorry again for that.

7. crockett

crockett Registered Member

Hi guys :)

Bethrezen, this seems rather risky to me too. 98 is a rather fragile system to say the least ;)

Having said that, and not to be the dead horse, I suggest you take a look at the site I refer to below - even the completely functional free version will satbilize and speed up W98 dramatically, as I have already experienced myself.

http://www.litepc.com/preview.html

Direct dwl at http://www.litepc.com/prev_lic.html

BTW, any change is completely reversible in a few simple clicks.

Rgds, Crockett :cool:

8. Bethrezen

Bethrezen Registered Member

hi

thanks for ya replys the fact that it looks a lil risky is why i came here first

oh and im already using 98 lite outstanding app it is to just ashame windows sucks so bad and the worst of it to is that newer versions of windows suck even more oh well there goes another one of my mad lil ideas lol

back to the drawing board

9. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I have used win 95,98,98se,me and xp and with out doubt xp is an exceptional improvement over the previous versions. It is faster and more secure and it has more options and functions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.